Thread: Finding E38 PCM Compatible with 2 Bar OS

Finding E38 PCM Compatible with 2 Bar OS

Can someone point me in the right direct on how to go about finding a E38 PCM that can do the 2 bar OS patch and that is a direct swap in my truck. My current PCM is not compatible with the 2 bar OS. Also, how would I go about transferring my current tune info to the newer PCM?

Advanced Tuner
    e38 gm gen 4 - comes in a 2012 silverado 5.3L allows for a 2 bar os
    im not too sure about that - maybe someone will chime in or maybe contact hptuners support about that but im guessing youd have to get the ecm programed with factory ecu software and then change the vin using hptuners and have to redo theft learn
    screen shot - Attachment 81763
    Last edited by TCSS07; 07-16-2018 at 09:54 PM.

2010 and 2011 trucks seems tough to come by for 2 BAR OS upgrades. I have a few other those files and none of them offer it. Those operating systems are 12636005 and 12639835.

My 2012 offers it with the OS 12647991.

The thing that makes it cost money is the fact that you'd have to find a computer with that OS or have a dealership flash it with a OS/VIN that worked with that calibration. At the same time they would be flashing your TCM to match that OS/VIN so it all worked again as one. Then you'd have to re-license the computer. Your trucks computer is likely to not have the same VIN as your windshield because of this and if you have emission testing for that stuff you'd fail.

Lastly copying over data is easy. Pick what you need and just copy it over.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    I'd like to know what to do to run boost on one of these, I have an 11 with the 12639835 OS and I heard the maf has to be used. Can't find much more on what to change for boost.

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    2010 and 2011 trucks seems tough to come by for 2 BAR OS upgrades. I have a few other those files and none of them offer it. Those operating systems are 12636005 and 12639835.

My 2012 offers it with the OS 12647991.

The thing that makes it cost money is the fact that you'd have to find a computer with that OS or have a dealership flash it with a OS/VIN that worked with that calibration. At the same time they would be flashing your TCM to match that OS/VIN so it all worked again as one. Then you'd have to re-license the computer. Your trucks computer is likely to not have the same VIN as your windshield because of this and if you have emission testing for that stuff you'd fail.

Lastly copying over data is easy. Pick what you need and just copy it over.
    So as long as I swap in a e38 pcm with the OS you have listed all I would need to do is license it and then change the VIN and swap all the info over correct? It seems like less work to just buy a used PCM with the OS instead of going through and having the dealer re-flash my current one and then having to figure out how to get home.

There really is no "list" because it's all custom to each application.

The basics are 2 or 3 BAR map sensor, inputting that data. Setting up power enrichment or boost enrichment is available and setting up timing. If you need larger injectors, that is something you need to change as well.

If your OS has no 2 BAR OS, then you have to extend the VVE editor under the edit tab to support map values between 110-210 or 110-310 depending on what you are doing. Ideally you'd tune the VVE for part throttle and some boost just to give you good drive ability and keep transient fueling okay as well as a buffer zone if the MAF failed.

Keeping the MAF is just fine, they can support tons of airflow in the right size intake tube. People often go speed density if they have the ability to use the upgraded operating system.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Advanced Tuner
    Im running a stock OS in my 08 denali with boost. You basically just need a sensor and program the offsets. 5FDP Hit it all spot on.
    2008 Denali XL AWD LSA Blower
    2010 CTS-V
    2005 LLY Duramax SAS
    2015 Denali

The reason I am wanting to find a pcm that's compatible with the two bar OS is because while trying to tune the boosted areas of my VVE it's wanting to do weird things when hitting calculate coefficients. Parts throttle areas it's fine. And the issue with my MAF is that it's not detecting smaller airflow changes with boost. For example, from 5500 to 6300 rpm the MAF will sit at 13500 hertz throughout the range which is causing it to be rich in the lower rpms and and go leaner in the higher rpms which is why I want to swap to a pcm that can run a 2 bar OS and use a real VE table.

Install the MAF in a larger pipe to gain back resolution.

That's why guys with camaro's or CTS-V's run like 5in intake tubing to keep the MAF.

Or find a newer 2012-2013 computer with the 2 bar OS.

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Install the MAF in a larger pipe to gain back resolution.

That's why guys with camaro's or CTS-V's run like 5in intake tubing to keep the MAF.

Or find a newer 2012-2013 computer with the 2 bar OS.
    Dumb question but can I not just pull a 2012 truck tune from the repository and write that onto my current pcm?

Not really, because your TCM is programmed to your OS.

You'd be flashing in a new file with a different OS/VIN and your TCM is not matched to that new calibration. A dealership could flash your computer to a 2012 file as well as re-program the TCM to match. Then you could license the new file.