Thread: Newbie seeking help

Tuner in Training

Newbie seeking help

Hey guys. I was hoping that someone could point me in the right direction. I just got an MPVI2. I have never tuned anything before, and I have been wanting to learn about it for a few years now. Just by reading my car and a buddies truck, there are some things that are pretty self-explanatory (like turning MIL's off, VATS, speedo correction and whatnot), but the tuning side of things, I don't have any idea. I would like to really get into this, and as of right now, I will only be messing with N/A applications. Things like cat deletes, injector changes, or taking a stock truck/car and removing some of the torque management and getting a little more out of the truck. Potentially on a diesel where I would be deleting the EGR, DPF, and what not. Another thing I'm kind of confused on is setting up the scanner...I don't really know what one needs to monitor and really what everything means in conjunction with tuning. I just don't know where to start. Could someone point me in the right direction? I'd really like to not pay for a college course to learn how to do this, but that might be what needs to happen. I was hoping someone could point me towards some good guides/videos.

You can't delete emissions on diesels, so flush that idea down the drain. It will never be supported again as far as I am aware.

"Tuning" stuff all comes down to what you are dealing with, there are so many ways to go about things depending on the application. It's nearly impossible to walk someone through it over a computer because the person using the program needs to understand what is happening inside the engine and what all the numbers mean.

ERM Performance offers a course for new people, see if that is something you wish to look at.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    I would recommend searching out a few you tube videos to get your head thinking in the general right direction. Power Enrichment is effectively disabled in a lot of stuff, you can look there without much risk. Optimizing MAF and VE or VVE tables is important, there is a few good videos on doing this on the tube. I would get a grasp on this early on. A guy done a good job on two videos called ls3 maf tuning and ls3 ve tuning in the titles, at least i thought they were well presented.

Tuner in Training
    I have done some research, but there's some of it that doesn't make a whole lot of since. I've watched some videos on power enrichment and what not....monitoring stft and ltft's on top of other things and knowing what to do with it, when to add or remove timing, add or remove fuel and what not based off of those readings is one thing I'm struggling with. The scanner area as far as what to monitor, which pids, and what not I'm fairly confused on.

Didn't realise hp tuners wouldn't delete diesel's, that's kind of a bummer, but that's also ok.

I am in a very similar situation as you described. The tuning school has some good free videos on YouTube. There is an guy from Australia or New Zealand that has some good videos on Youtube under HP tuning.

In my experience, Dougs statement regarding power enrichment (PE)is correct. However, it depends on the vehicle. I was able to remove a 4 second delay under wide open throttle (WOT) for PE on my Jeep and it was a huge improvement. On my Chevrolet the system is a torque management system and the limitations to be removed or changed seem to be a bit more complex.

Good luck and enjoy!