Thread: Kinda rookie wiring harness question but I am so ??

Tuner in Training

Kinda rookie wiring harness question but I am so ??

Looking to purchase a dropout L33 and been studying and watching videos and it just occurred to me while watching the guy on lt1swap video redoing a stock harness that most all of these, if not all of the modded stock harness's still locate the ecm out in the front left corner of the under hood area. I guess this is right ? If that is the standard then a new stand alone harness with the ecm inside the firewall is the only thing I could live with ..... Let me know if I am missing something.

I think most people leave it there because they don't want to cut down any wires and with the way the harness is ran it make sense to leave the computer in that corner so the wiring fits like factory.

You can route the computer anywhere you want if that is what you want to do. Mount it inside the vehicle or somewhere else in the engine bay.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Advanced Tuner
    If youve never done a harness and dont have an experienced person to walk you through it, stick to just stripping the uneeded stuff and keep the routing the same. I have personally re-routed truck harnesses to break at the rear of the right cyl head to go inside and it requires a set of Micropack crimpers https://www.amazon.com/Micro-Pack-Cr...WNCJAX7678TJ0T and ~120 terminals at round about 20 cents each. You will have to strip open the entire harness and reroute EVERYTHING. Takes me 2 days to do that and I use a dummy engine to build onto also keep in mind building harnesses is my profression so be aware of what youre getting into if you try it.

Advanced Tuner
    I once had my pcm mounted inside the firewall on the passenger side. Started with a '05 Tahoe harness, and a 4.3 s10 harness. I soldered and heat shrinked the two together, they were all too long. Everything works fine. I did strip the harness to each individual connector with it's wire. The people that don't strip it down end up with a bad looking job.
    All my front accessory wires go under the intake and everything meets in the back of the engine where it's not easily seen.