Thread: Check on my learning so far

Tuner in Training

Check on my learning so far

I have been spending some time this evening learning how to go about tuning with HP Tuners. I have the software and will be using it first to tune a friend's 87 Trans Am with an 5.3 aluminum block L33 engine and an LS2 cam.

We will be installing a wideband O2 sensor, probably in the passenger side. There are no cats in the car (besides the real-life kind that got in and slept there - meow). We have to add a bung for the wideband, so the idea was to place it so that we can use it for the passenger-side narrowband O2 later on once we finish the tuning. The driver-side manifold (2000 Fbody) has a bung in it, but the passenger-side doesn't.

It took me a while to figure out how the voltage output of the wideband relates to the measured AFR. I had to RTFM to find the equation needed to convert voltage output into the measured AFR.

It seems like the procedure is something like this:

1. Get the car to idle decently. I have found a few places with indications on items to adjust here. Need to set the fueling (LS6 intake and injectors from a 2004 LS1 GTO), idle RPM, etc.

2. Force the car to run on MAF only, and disable things likely to cause errors (dynamic airflow, DFCO, LTFT, COT, ??). Create a table for airflow vs. MAF freq. that logs a percentage error of the commanded AFR vs. the wideband AFR. Run the car in as many of the relevant table cells as possible. Those percentages can then be used to adjust the MAF scaling. Smooth and adjust the curve. Lather, rinse, repeat until the errors are low.

3. Force the car to run on VE table only and disable things likely to cause errors (Stay out of PE mode, COT, ??). Create a table for MAP vs. RPM that logs a percentage error of the commanded AFR vs. the wideband AFR. Run the car in as many of the relevant table cells as possible. The error percentages can then be used to adjust the VE table. Smooth the histogram. Lather, rinse, repeat until the errors are low.

Am I on the right track so far?
    2017 Chevy Cruze | Stock daily driver

2004 Pontiac GTO | Magnacharger kit | Pedders Track II Suspension | Custom 1,200 watt stereo system

1987 Pontiac Trans-Am | L33 Aluminum block 5.3 engine | 4L60e Transmission | 2000 Camaro PCM and harness | Custom LS to F-body harness

Swap step 2 and 3 around. Run the Russ K idle config thats floating around the forum here to dial in the Base Running Airflow. It will help when tuning to have the correct Base airflow.