Thread: Is important to have functioning O2 sensors?

Tuner in Training

Is important to have functioning O2 sensors?

My engine, with a cam and an Ed Wright tune, runs perfectly with apparently non-functioning sensors, so, is it important for anything that they function correctly?
    '88 BMW M3, bone stock appearing inside and out except for wheels/tires, exhaust pipe tips and, of course, the engine compartment. 2001, LS1/6, Camaro T56, 222/226 @ .050, .570/.570, LS6 intake, ported oil pump and heads, 400 + hp, 4.10 ltd. slip diff, '01 M Roadster front & rear suspension/brakes, GC coil-over, adjustable Konis, 2700#, daily driver road rocket. Still thinking of dropping an LS7 in.

Emmisions and fuel economy.
    Best regards,
    Bill
    Silver 2003 C5 roadster, M6, Euro red/amber tails, Z06 Ti mufflers, Z06 2 cat H-pipe, Z06 airbox, and HPTuners s/w - available to any Corvette or other GM vehicle in Calgary, and also for Ford and Dodge products, including Cummins

Do you mean non functioning rear sensors? I doubt that he would have given you an open loop only tune.
    Bill Winters

Former owner/builder/tuner of the FarmVette
    Out of the LSx tuning game

Tuner in Training

Open loop tune?

Ed also says I don't have an open loop tune from them. He says my front, and only, O2 sensors must be toast and that I need to replace them. When they're not functioning I am running in open loop all the time, I guess. I'm not sure I want to spend the nearly $300 to replace them when my engine has run flawlessly, except for emissions at idle, at all rpms, for about a year and 4000 miles as my daily driver road rocket. I have no fuel smell at idle and I have awesome power at all rpms. I pass the 2200 rpm emissions with flying colors. I just installed cats which I think I'll wrap with that heat resistant tape to keep them hot, do a little tuning and try emissions again.
    '88 BMW M3, bone stock appearing inside and out except for wheels/tires, exhaust pipe tips and, of course, the engine compartment. 2001, LS1/6, Camaro T56, 222/226 @ .050, .570/.570, LS6 intake, ported oil pump and heads, 400 + hp, 4.10 ltd. slip diff, '01 M Roadster front & rear suspension/brakes, GC coil-over, adjustable Konis, 2700#, daily driver road rocket. Still thinking of dropping an LS7 in.