Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: tranny clunk

Tuner in Training
    great info here, but my clunk is in the t-case. Do you gentlemen have clunk issues with a 2 wheel drive ?
    2000 Chevrolet ECSB Z71, 6.0, TVS1900 @15psi, Alky Control, BEI Blower Cam, 8rib, ARH 2'' LongTube Headers, Built 4L80E w Billet CK performance goodies, P I Triple disc . HPT 2Bar Tuned by T J @ BEI,
    11.6 @114 @ 12 psi/no meth , new times to come , 630 rwhp second gear dyno with old 1-3/4 headers. This stuff is so much fun

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by wreedz71
    How would you beat up on the 3-4 clutch? By trying to fix the clunk?

Because the 2nd apply band is gigantic vs the small 3-4 clutch.
    The trick here is to get 3rd to apply while still holding second, then a slow 2nd band release. Everybody wants quicker shifts and the clunk is a direct result of that.

I live with it as it's only noticeable during very light throttle shifts.
    GM burned up a few of these in 04-05 trying to reduce that clunk. Have fun

-Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ken@HPTuners
    Because the 2nd apply band is gigantic vs the small 3-4 clutch.
    The trick here is to get 3rd to apply while still holding second, then a slow 2nd band release. Everybody wants quicker shifts and the clunk is a direct result of that.

I live with it as it's only noticeable during very light throttle shifts.
    GM burned up a few of these in 04-05 trying to reduce that clunk. Have fun

-Ken

So leaving it stock is best??

Senior Tuner
    I'm not sure what you mean by that. You can adjust the shift pressures however you want. The clunk is a long time issue and not something to even worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken@HPTuners
    The 2-3 clunk has been around since that transmission was designed (700R4).
    Its a mechanical slop issue between the two halves of the input shell during the release of the band and apply of the 3-4 clutch pack.

It wont hurt anything, and any calibration fixes just keep the clutches bound together longer to give the appearance of fixing it.

Personally I would just ignore it rather than beat up on the 3-4 clutch pack.....

-Ken
    Ken i also get the clunk on the 3-2 downshift. It is certainly not as loud as the upshift clunk but i can hear it when i stick my head out the window. It is also accompanied by a kinda(but not that bad) hard downshift.

Is this normal also?