Thread: need help question about wide bands

Potential Tuner

need help question about wide bands

hello all, im absolutely new to hp tuners and tuning. ive done a lot of research on it and feel comfortable enough to figure it. I do not currently have a wide band o2 and I know I need to get one, from what ive gathered I have to get the pro mode for my mpvi2 device and get the pro link cable to connect to my device so then my afr will be logged in the vcm scanner correct? or is there another way to switch my narrow band o2 for a wide band and it will read through the ecm? 2005 Silverado 5.3

Advanced Tuner
    You will have a decent setup with MPVI2 and an AEM 30-0334 X-Series OBD2 Wideband. You don't need the Pro model unless you want to log serial data inputs or non-OBD2 wideband or tuning other setups. I would get the MPVI2 with this wideband and 2 credits (unless you need more for your vehicle). You can look up credits on the HP Tuner website and determine credits needed. This will log wideband in AFR or Lambda. You will want to stick with Lambda and learn that. This is the fastest updating wideband unless something has come up in last 6 months. You can always upgrade to Pro as it is a software update and add the serial cable and Expander hub later. Since your just starting, use extra money for some basic mods like cold air intake, filter, etc.. Don't know your vehicle make, year, model as that will determine credits needed. You will have plenty to learn and apply with this setup. You will not be disappointed. As stated by 5FDP, you will follow his advice if you want the gage/sensor hard wired to your ECM. For just logging, the OBD2 setup is plug and play thru the DLC/ALDL connector with no special wiring to the ECM needed.
    Last edited by DGS; 01-05-2019 at 07:42 PM.

Either buy the pro version or wire the wideband into the computer using a 5v reference. Most people choose the EGR circuit on the trucks because that pin on the computer is blank or the EGR gets removed with mods.

There are lots of write ups and youtube video's about wiring the wideband in through the EGR or AC pressure sensor circuit.

You can't make the computer control wideband sensors, GM only uses narrowband sensors on those vehicles. Keep the narrow bands and just setup the wideband separate.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    thank you very much gentleman, my vehicle is a bone stock true dual straight piped with cats (for now) 2005 chevy Silverado 1500 4x4 ccsb 5.3. I suppose I could put that in my info lol, just starting out in tuning and want to get the most I can out of my pickup.