Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: LS3 Turbo Tune Any Help Appreciated

Tuner in Training
    I don?t believe it is because I have gone down that path and checked it?s an S366 with a .065 restrictor due to having a -4an feed line. I had an exhaust leak at my downpipe before switching to a marmon flange for the turbo and smoke would come out of the hood prior to my retuning and it stopped. I left that semi leaking v band on to help determine if the turbo was having issues or not. After the smoke ceased at the turbo I tossed on my marmon flange. Dip stick is also sitting full every time I check in the morning. Also coolant is always full in radiator in the morning too. As I play with the tune with the car warmed up as soon as the car hits closed loop and then the trims decide to compensate the ?leanness? by adding fuel it smokes more closed loop than it will open loop. Could be possibly leaking exhaust valve seals tossing raw fuel out before top dead center?
    2010 Camaro SS LS3 Turbo
    2004 BMW 325xi (Daily)

Tuner in Training
    Well I figured out my injectors were not tuned properly. The Offset vs IGNV I did not load into it. Ran a test had some surging, but at least my O2s were reading right so at least now I know the tune and STFTs I can trust. I will work on there idle more, but the smoking is still persistent at 160 degrees ECT. that is when it starts and I do not know what it is now, but I can tell you it is almost like steam and puts condensation on my hand when I hold my hand in front of it. No smoke until it is at least 160 degrees ECT. I know it is not coolant due to the fact that my radiator is not losing any coolant. I doubt it is oil related due to the fact that I am not losing oil on the dip stick. If I can not get it to go away by tuning I will get a compression and leak down test done to see if it could be the valves and or the valve stem seals.
    2010 Camaro SS LS3 Turbo
    2004 BMW 325xi (Daily)

Tuner in Training
    Funny thing is if I go to add higher airflow final minimum the smoke becomes less and smells less gas like and the fuel trims begin to read 3-4% rich. The car seems to want to be leaned out. I?m ordering the AEM wideband today and will install within a week or so to actually know what my AFR will be.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiser1996 View Post
    I don?t believe it is because I have gone down that path and checked it?s an S366 with a .065 restrictor due to having a -4an feed line. I had an exhaust leak at my downpipe before switching to a marmon flange for the turbo and smoke would come out of the hood prior to my retuning and it stopped. I left that semi leaking v band on to help determine if the turbo was having issues or not. After the smoke ceased at the turbo I tossed on my marmon flange. Dip stick is also sitting full every time I check in the morning. Also coolant is always full in radiator in the morning too. As I play with the tune with the car warmed up as soon as the car hits closed loop and then the trims decide to compensate the ?leanness? by adding fuel it smokes more closed loop than it will open loop. Could be possibly leaking exhaust valve seals tossing raw fuel out before top dead center?

Who recommended you restrict the 4an feed? Forced inductions recommended me no restriction on my billet s475, no problems for me.

Tuner in Training
    Borg Warner recommends either a -3an feed for the S366 or -4an and a restrictor. S475 I believe is just -4an no resitrictor. I put one on due to actually pushing oil through both the outlet and compressor wheel. (Not much just small liquid residue was. I haven?t put more than 2-3 pulls on the car since I put it on and as well as most of the time has been idle) after putting it on under a single pull no oil had came out. This was after I contacted Borg warner and spoke with them. Turbo is actually not even broke in maybe 100 miles of cruise time on it low rpm and 3 pulls max. The steam I get on warm up is literally steam. I did some testing and if I push it leaner on idle it streams less. I am believing it is just due to not having cats. My wideband should be here today and I will have it fitted into the down pipe and get it straight. Most likely I will just have to lean it out more on idle unless I want water dripping out of my tips.
    2010 Camaro SS LS3 Turbo
    2004 BMW 325xi (Daily)

Quote Originally Posted by Kiser1996 View Post
    I also made the mistake of going standard on the HPTuners rather than Pro. So I don?t have a wideband option. If I were to run a wideband it?d have to be in the tail pipe being I don?t have a bung either. Is there a way I could just shut off my fuel trims and run my narrowbands as a wideband just for some tuning then convert it back?
    if you have a good wife and you can still data log it through the serial port or sub port.

Tuner in Training
    I ended up going with the AEM UEGO 30-0334 X series. It utilizes the CAN bus, so it becomes its own PID on VCM Scanner. Pop it in the down pipe run the ground and power lines into the fuse box in the dash and to the gauge. The gauge feeds into a female/male obd2 into your car and Vcm suite plugs into the female jumper in the obd2 and it will pull it as a standard PID without PRO from what I?ve seen. If it does not data log (it should though) I still have a live feed via the gauge to get a good estimate of where I?m sitting.
    2010 Camaro SS LS3 Turbo
    2004 BMW 325xi (Daily)

Tuner in Training
    Hey guys, so its been a while and been busy with some work shit so I got around to messing with the camaro again and indeed there was oil in the downpipe and intercooler pipe off the inlet of the turbo, but no shaft play and no loss on the dipstick. I went ahead and installed the AEM wideband and ran my PCV setup through a sealed catch can and dropped a pipe off the compressor housing and installed a large filter. I went ahead and set the PCV system back to a closed system with a check valve to prevent boost into the crank case. Started her up and she loved having the PCV system back. Much more contained. I do have to throw on some exhaust tape around my waste gate because those damn clamps won?t stop exhaust leaks if I don?t have tape on them and clamp them down. Besides that fact the car does smell much more clean with PCV, however I do have white smoke coming out of the exhaust much fluffier now not sticking in the air or anything coolant levels still good. Assuming it?s mostly condensation from sitting for a few months as well as the idea that I?m running a 14.7-15.2:1 AFR in closed loop. So I?m wanting to know with catless should I back up my AFR richer to clean up the steam byproduct?
    2010 Camaro SS LS3 Turbo
    2004 BMW 325xi (Daily)

Tuner in Training
    So I went ahead and put a 10w30 oil in and forced open loop speed density. Car stopped smoking and idles/drives amazing in case anyone wondered. Closed loop adaptive changes and all those tables just were not playing well with me. I put it into OL SD and the car has no idle surge warms up beautifully and idles with minimal timing. Cruising timing adjusts well with throttle no spiking at all.
    2010 Camaro SS LS3 Turbo
    2004 BMW 325xi (Daily)

who did you speak to at BW? Make sure its an engineer, try to talk with brinehardt if you can.

I don't think I've ever seen a restrictor mentioned in any of the documentation. I have an S364 with no restrictor on a -4an also for almost 2 years 15k miles and its been fine.

Tuner in Training
    Sorry for reviving an old post, just never came back to let anyone know I did get it straightened out back in October fully and started making good power. Haven?t put it on a dyno yet due to cold weather in Ohio, but she?s been stored since November. I even went to start it up and she fired right over with no surging after sitting for 3 months. I wanted to thank the guys on this thread for all the help they?ve all been. Anyway, I?d like to leave a note that may help some people in similar situations. My breakthrough came fully when I had decided to give the car more timing and lean it more towards my target AFR. The car was pulling slight timing in response to not having enough. Once I started giving it timing and leaning it out closer to 11-11.5:1 AFR in boost the car came to life. Thanks to all you guys and all the help you?ve been! I couldn?t have done it without you!
    2010 Camaro SS LS3 Turbo
    2004 BMW 325xi (Daily)