Thread: unknown error 99

Potential Tuner

unknown error 99

Im trying to tune a 98 camaro z28 2 bar speeddensity. After i did a full rewrite it will not crank. I try to flash again and it says "unknown error 99"?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    did you use a file taken off of the current pcm to apply the 2 bar?
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by foff667
    did you use a file taken off of the current pcm to apply the 2 bar?
    yes, then i did a full rewrite and then the car wont crank and i get that error when i try to flash it?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    did the full rewrite fail or something?

Potential Tuner
    no it took the full rewrite, but before i did that i accidently did a normal write with the 2 bar os. Then i did the full rewrite cause i realized what i had done. Now it wont let me do anything? Is the computer fried?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    normal write with the 2 bar os killed the pcm. Thats your answer

98's don't hav ethe checks that the 99+ computers do...you need to do the full write FIRST otherwise you'll fry the computer.
    Last edited by Bill@HPTuners; 10-28-2006 at 07:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by foff667
    normal write with the 2 bar os killed the pcm. Thats your answer

98's don't hav ethe checks that the 99+ computers do...you need to do the full write FIRST otherwise you'll fry the computer.
    hey foff is that anytime you write to a 98 or just to upgrade. ive read so much horor about my 98 i dont plan on ever pullin the tune out till i repin to a 02 pcm and start with that
    98 Z28m6,ramVDS,lakewood LCA,sphon SFC,NOS 125shot,HPtuned LQ4.045milled heads,224/228 581/588 comp cam,fast toys lid,ported 85maf,ls6 intake,long tubes with custom exhaust

Potential Tuner
    Thanks foff. I guess i screwed up. Didnt know it would hurt it. Damn 98s! Can i get another computer and flash the 2 bar with that vin to the new computer?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by gold98Z28
    hey foff is that anytime you write to a 98 or just to upgrade. ive read so much horor about my 98 i dont plan on ever pullin the tune out till i repin to a 02 pcm and start with that
    98's are fine...my last LS1 fbody was a 98 and I probably flashed it 100x without incident...the problem here is that the 98's dont do as many checks operating system wise as the 99+ cars do so if you do a partial write of any OTHER os other then something based off of that vehicles you can easily fry your pcm. Once the 2 bar is in its in & you just do partials after that initial write...his mistake was trying to do a partial write of a 2 bar OS to the stock 1 bar OS...the 98 pcm thinks everything is fine plops it in but by then the pcm is fried. Theres a difference between being scared & being CAREFUL.

being scared to fry it is not the reason for not wanting to start with it. i know the lack of RAM will not allow RTT and several tables are missing that later ones have from what i read here. plus i can opt for the year model since my dad has a 02 35th car. i think it will be better in the long run not to use credits on the 98 till i repin and replace with a newer pcm
    98 Z28m6,ramVDS,lakewood LCA,sphon SFC,NOS 125shot,HPtuned LQ4.045milled heads,224/228 581/588 comp cam,fast toys lid,ported 85maf,ls6 intake,long tubes with custom exhaust

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    personally I would just do a vin locked license on it & be done with it in your case rather then going through the trouble of repinning but thats just me.

Potential Tuner
    can i use the OS with the two bar applied of the computer i fried and write the new 98 computer with it? Or have i lost the 2 credits for the 2 bar upgrade? Thanks