Thread: New to EFI tuning

Tuner in Training

New to EFI tuning

Sorry so long. I swapped a 350 into my Lancruiser and somebody convinced me the benefits of going with this 411 EFI over throttle body because of tuning. Well I know nothing about it and was open to learn and after researching a little a trip to the tuner was best. I found one tuner that would tune it, everybody else was like "that's not what we do on our Dyno." Meaning we power tune not road tune. So he put it on the Dyno and did his thing, and when I asked questions of what he was doing and about Hp tuners which he was using, he was very closed off, like you shouldn't try this. Well the truck ran and I had some other issues that I fixed but it smelled really rich and thick exhaust so I looked into my oxygen sensors and stuff. I live in PHX and we finally took it out on an easy trail up to about 6000 feet and it struggled to idle and ran rough. My first thoughts were "What now. Just make it back home." Well we made it back to 3000 feet and it ran fine again. So I took it back to the tuner and told what was going on and he was like "On engine swaps people don't wire them correctly so I don't use them. Why would you want the oxygen sensors ON they cut fuel?" So he turned them on for me and then added more fuel to my idle because it was stalling at hirer altitude. First thought, "this guy doesn't know altitude makes it rich already, and that's was the major benefit of going EFI, No altitude adjusting. So here I am and looks like he didn't trim anything closed loop so I need to make a few changes. Open loop is probably ok but I have a WB coming. Its a 85 FJ60 with stock 4 speed manual and from my first logs looks like fuel cut off isn't turned on. It goes realy rich when shifting. If anybody can look at this and help point me in the correct direction would be great. Thanks.Brickhouse final tuner.hptstore trip.hpl

Tuner in Training
    Problem is, I?d assume it?s tuner locked, and you won?t be able to adjust anything. And he doesn?t sound like the kind of guy who will be very receptive to tuning suggestions from others...

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    if open loop is properly tuned with a wideband and the o2 sensors are the ones made for the ecu, then when closed loop is enabled the trims shouldn't shift more than a couple percent.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryBear View Post
    Problem is, I?d assume it?s tuner locked, and you won?t be able to adjust anything. And he doesn?t sound like the kind of guy who will be very receptive to tuning suggestions from others...
    It?s not locked. It only gets 8 -10 mpg. My f2 with a carburetor got 12+. I think it runs really rich and the log looks like it is but I don?t know what I?m looking at really. It?s not a dragster and I?m not looking for 500hp I just want nice power and drivability with decent mpg. I thought I attached my files. Do they not open?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by cobaltssoverbooster View Post
    if open loop is properly tuned with a wideband and the o2 sensors are the ones made for the ecu, then when closed loop is enabled the trims shouldn't shift more than a couple percent.
    What?s LNF? He did 4-5 power pulls and that was it. Just quick drive through the gears and then WOT when he hit 4th. He had a WB in the tailpipe. No cats and went to 12.5. Sensors are for the savana but seems to be correcting a lot. Idle now dips low before going back to set point and long trim is turned off. At least it runs well now so it?s not critical. Time for school it looks like. Thanks.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    Oh i thought from the first post this tuner attempted the whole shebang.

There is atmospheric drift as you drive. The air is always changing right. So the widebands are really accurate which is why we always recommend them. To make them work we have to shut the factory ones down temporarily so the two dont fight with each other. Once wideband tuning is done we can turn the oem ones on and it should be just fine. +-5 percent is commonly thrown around as acceptable due to the changing air. The key is the tables need to remain smooth. Of course there is a ton more to tuning but the idea remains that if you tune with a more accurate sensor, the not so good one should still follow close by.

Lnf and lsj are gm ecotec 4 cylinder engine codes. I spent a lot of time from 08-14 playing with those.

Tuner in Training
    [QUOTE=cobaltssoverbooster;606721]Oh i thought from the first post this tuner attempted the whole shebang.

I'm not sure what he did. Paid for an hour and he whipped it out in 30 minutes including strapdown. He wouldn't try to explain it and seemed annoyed that I was even watching his work, and more when I asked questions about the scales and stuff. Comparing to the Savana stock tune looks like lower power should be leaner than stock. I'll see when my WB gets here. I get why they use the WB and also was told a WB stuck in the tailpipe will run rich even without cats because its too far downstream, but not sure the truth in that. According to his dyno though only had 210 hp for a mild cammed 350, seemed low but has plenty of power for what I need. MPG just sucks for what I was told it could get. Also will HP tuners see timing angle on this engine? Nobody knows how to see that.

Out of curiosity, what gears does it have and what size tires?

My personal opinion here too, I think you could get away with a lot more timing advanced in the cruise area's of the timing curve. Upper 20's and low 30's is kinda down from what I'd try running. I'd looking to get those numbers in the upper 30's and low 40's. That may help with fuel mileage.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by cobaltssoverbooster View Post
    Oh i thought from the first post this tuner attempted the whole shebang.
    Me too. That?s why I made the comment about it being locked.

Tuner in Training
    The rear end is 4.11 with 33?s. Stock manual transmission.