Thread: Maf frequency question

Tuner in Training

Maf frequency question

I have an ls3 231/236 .640 lift, lts, cai, 4.10s 2011 camaro ss that I'm working some kinks out of. It had been tuned by a shop previously that didn't think anyone would ever check it and it's got some pretty shoddy things in there but for the most part runs good. The ltfts and stats are way off in the lowest parts of the rpm and Male readings so I'm trying to tune the maf to get it straightened out. I need to know how the frequency corresponds to the actual fueling or do I just need to not worry about it and just add a percentage that it's off. I'm by no means an expert so any advice on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Advanced Tuner
    You need to get an average percentage of the error. When you have that set up in your scanner you can go to the Maf curve

Tuner in Training
    Are you talking about the average the ltfts+stfts. I've got that on a histogram but I couldn't seem to get it to log maf frequency and probably set that up wrong.

A wideband o2 sensor will make this much easier and faster.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    I have my wideband hooked up to the car but I'm waiting on my cables to plug it into my computer, they should be here in a couple days but until then I can't plug em into a graph I just have to watch it and keep an eye on the gauge vs the rpm which isn't an exact science by any stretch. I know I need to add 10 percent to the whole fuel chart and 10 more everywhere below 2 grand but I'm not sure if i just add 10 or 20 percent to the frequency that's what I'll end up with.

Potential Tuner
    JUST basics, have you tried to achieve best vacuum reading with maf mods?

Tuner in Training
    No how do I go about that?

Potential Tuner
    Go to Goat Rope Garage on you tube. He has a video that goes over every step on MAF cal on gen 4. I just went through it on my car and it worked perfect.

Tuner in Training
    Ok I'll check it out I have a pretty basic understanding of what's going on but there is definitely some holes here and there so thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Rowleyd View Post
    Go to Goat Rope Garage on you tube. He has a video that goes over every step on MAF cal on gen 4. I just went through it on my car and it worked perfect.
    Not right for a Gen 4. Does not take into account injector tip (rich after flash issue). Taking out 5 degrees of timing makes the whole exercise useless. You would have to do it all over after adding in the the 5 degrees.
    2012 ZL1 - Maggie Heartbeat, Port & Polish Heads, Custom Cam, Custom rotating assembly, steel sleeved LS9, No NOS and No water meth. 16psi
    810rwhp and 820rwtq 91 Octane 6400 rpm
    948rwhp and 951rwtq 105 Octane 6400 rpm
    999rwhp and 997rwtq on 60% Ethanol 6400 rpm

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by jsllc View Post
    Not right for a Gen 4. Does not take into account injector tip (rich after flash issue). Taking out 5 degrees of timing makes the whole exercise useless. You would have to do it all over after adding in the the 5 degrees.
    Hi jslic. Kyle must have updated the video. The video for the GRG Gen IV MAF tuning does not back out 5 degrees of timing. The MAF tuning video he has for the 101 video's does mention dropping the 5 degrees of timing out.

I am completely new to tuning and soon to do my MAF tuning this week as I finally got my engine running!! YEAH!!! Could you explain a bit more why you said to NOT take out the 5 degrees of timing? It makes sense to me that dropping the 5 degrees helps prevent knock which would corrupt the MAF tuning. It also makes sense to me that you would need to go back and re-tune after putting back the 5 degrees of timing.

Just trying to learn all I can and really appreciate hearing peoples knowledge.

Cheers, Steve
    Last edited by Motobrewmaster; 04-24-2020 at 08:45 PM.
    Just getting started on tuning. Test mule is my 69 Camaro with a n/a dry sump TSP built 418. E38, wide band, PWM ZL1 fuel pump (58 psi), long tube headers, TSP stage 3 cam, PRC 260 heads, LS3 intake. T56 mag trans, 3.90 Tru-trac.

Potential Tuner
    Ok I would like to hear any of the experienced tuners on here answer or explain what jslic mentioned.
    Just getting started on tuning. Test mule is my 69 Camaro with a n/a dry sump TSP built 418. E38, wide band, PWM ZL1 fuel pump (58 psi), long tube headers, TSP stage 3 cam, PRC 260 heads, LS3 intake. T56 mag trans, 3.90 Tru-trac.

Just zero out your injector tip temp table and leave it that way.

Bad advice, Do not believe what you read. Make sure it is backed up with logic. You will need to do some reading on ECM 12303, injector tip temp and the rich after flash issue. I spent about 7 months finding that in the ECM. It was implemented by HPT in early 2016 and in production by mid 2016.

https://forum.hptuners.com/showthread.php?66837-Rich-After-Flash-Injector-Tip-Temperature&p=497882&viewfull=1#post497882

https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...ch-after-Flash
    2012 ZL1 - Maggie Heartbeat, Port & Polish Heads, Custom Cam, Custom rotating assembly, steel sleeved LS9, No NOS and No water meth. 16psi
    810rwhp and 820rwtq 91 Octane 6400 rpm
    948rwhp and 951rwtq 105 Octane 6400 rpm
    999rwhp and 997rwtq on 60% Ethanol 6400 rpm