Thread: E38 off board programming

E38 off board programming

Hi, Has any one else using GM Tis2web for programming blank ecm's found out that anything 2010 and newer(global A Architecture) can not be programmed off board? They must be in vehicle querrying other modules? Ran into this today with a '17 Chevy SS. Wondering if anyone has a work around. Thanks.

I have the same issues with my access thru ACDelcoTDS. However my friend at the dealership can do it no problem, ECM not in the car, using my bench programming cable.
    Does anyone with the techline connect subscription know if will you still get the "off board programming" error and force close that you get when using SPS and the "per vin" $40 license? (When programming with off board cable)
    I know if I use a dealers techline connect access I do not get the error.
    I called AC Delco and they said it should be the same access as the dealership techs....so I shouldn't see the error I'm getting. Though that was prefaced with the standard "we can only help with programming errors when the software is used correctly". The guy I spoke to did seem genuinely like he wanted to help me, but the best he could say is there is no difference between my access and a dealerships access. And that "off board programming" error usually means connectivity issues with the module. I just don't want to pay the $3800 they list for it not to work as I need it. My dealership friend has been helpful so far in getting around it.
    If anyone that has the techline connect software (not thru the dealership, but thru ACDelco) and tried bench flashing a blank ECU or programming a blank ECU in a swap project and knows that the newer OS's can be programmed with out this error, please chime in.

I've read that and if I can summarize, I would need to add a BCM to my cable setup. I'm not opposed to that. However, by simply changing access from my normal $40 vin license to my friends dealership login ( same cable, same MDI, same blank ECU) I was allowed to write the file.
    I am concerned that I would need various BCMs ( as it's not exactly clear people have tested the various combinations that could arise). Knowing my system works (with the appropriate login) I have derived the login access is the culprit. I just was curious if anyone paying the nearly $4k for techline connect which is supposed to be the same access as the dealership with unlimited programming has ever come across this issue. That is the simplified fix for my issue, if it were to be true.

Reports are that the specific BCM doesn't matter. I believe some have even made it work with a BCM from a different platform, and just keep that one spare BCM with their bench harness. Maybe it has to do with an active Class2 connection enabling/unlocking some part of the ECM to allow programming? BCM is the Class2 master/gateway whatever.