Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dying Fuel pump

Advanced Tuner
    Very much noted I will post the tune and full log now

Advanced Tuner

Tune and log

The log is purely for MAF calibration, I have others for timing, torque, and mapped points

Car: 2014 mustang gt, catless down pipes, jlt 2 cold air intake, has 3/4 tank of 91 and 1/4 e85, LU47 injectors(ford performance data), stock intake manifold, stock throttle body, stock headers, stock cams, stock fuel pump.

Tune: flex fuel tune, maf temp 0'd, maf adaptation disabled, long terms turned off. using short terms now to calibrate.

Lets start over, current log is mostly idle in park and then with the hand brake applied and in drive. Short little drive to the corner store for coffee. Haven't yet done a wot pull from 2500-redline in 3rd or 4th and havent done slow rev to bracket in low air flow.

Heres log and tune currently on the car.

JLT_MAF_3.hpl
    Flex Fuel_MAF_cal2.hpt
    ?Our greatest success comes from failure? -Confucius

Senior Tuner
    12 hours and no new post... I was hoping someone else would chime in before I go back on here.
    You have flex fuel enabled with that MAF curve... NO! face palm.(Its really not that bad, but it isn't right) JLT gave this too you, what is in the tune is modified slightly from the picture you posted earlier?

You have to disable flex fuel logic, it takes over the LTFTs and basically uses them to move the stoich point around. Error in the MAF or vacuum leaks/ unmetered air error will move the stoich point around. Its critical to get it right on a known stoich point and all mechanical issues resolved before enabling that logic. Throw all your fuel trim diagnostic knowledge out the window when logging a car with flex fuel logic enabled.

Right now I'm not sure if its easier for you to
    A:sample the fuel in the tank, measure the exact E% and calculate its stoich point, enter that into the fuel>general tab, and redo some logs with the flex fuel logic disabled.
    or
    B: drain the tank and fill it with E10 91 only and use the 14.08 stoich point. then redo the logs.
    If you don't want to do either, maybe there's some channels related to alcohol or flex fuel that can help differentiate whether the fuel trims are stoich point moving or actual error.
    I say just add vehicle speed to the channel list, helps explain airflow and engine load.
    Last edited by murfie; 12-10-2020 at 12:11 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by murfie View Post
    12 hours and no new post... I was hoping someone else would chime in before I go back on here.
    You have flex fuel enabled with that MAF curve... NO! face palm.(Its really not that bad, but it isn't right) JLT gave this too you, what is in the tune is modified slightly from the picture you posted earlier?

You have to disable flex fuel logic, it takes over the LTFTs and basically uses them to move the stoich point around. Error in the MAF or vacuum leaks/ unmetered air error will move the stoich point around. Its critical to get it right on a known stoich point and all mechanical issues resolved before enabling that logic. Throw all your fuel trim diagnostic knowledge out the window when logging a car with flex fuel logic enabled.

A:sample the fuel in the tank, measure the exact E% and calculate its stoich point, enter that into the fuel>general tab, and redo some logs with the flex fuel logic disabled.
    or
    B: drain the tank and fill it with E10 91 only and use the 14.08 stoich point. then redo the logs.
    If you don't want to do either, maybe there's some channels related to alcohol or flex fuel that can help differentiate whether the fuel trims are stoich point moving or actual error.
    I say just add vehicle speed to the channel list, helps explain airflow and engine load.
    That actually makes a lot of sense, I wouldn?t have even thought that the flex fuel logic would effect it so much.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by murfie View Post

or
    That also explains why the other cars I?ve tuned worked so well and mine is being a pain. Those cars were tuned on complete pump gas(14.08 stoich), then flex fuel was enabled and populated. Thanks!!! I definitely would have never put two and two together. Just shows I am still a baby in the realm of tuning knowledge compared to you guys.

Tuner
    Thanks murfie!