Thread: Serial request init, Alt control, System voltage control, need more power and explain

Serial request init, Alt control, System voltage control, need more power and explain

Vehicle is a 2008 Chevy 1500 5.3l 4x4 with alt volt control. Can someone explain to me how the serial request and voltage control step, delay, etc works?

Why - If an inverter is plugged into either of the cig outlets (small inverter) to use for charging a laptop the only time it will allow enough power to charge it is if the laptop is shut off. If you turn it on it the inverter turns red and flashes that it isn't getting enough voltage. Tried 2 different inverters with same result. Plug them into a toyota outside and it works fine.

How does the serial request work and can changing the settings in the alt control cure this problem?

Appreciate any help in understanding this.

Thanks & Merry X-mas

Does the inverter work with key on/engine off? Does it work if it's wired direct to the battery terminals instead of the lighter plug (Ohm's Law says a lighter socket is a poor choice for powering a circuit that converts from 12VDC to 120VAC just to go back down to (usually) 18VDC)?

If your inverter faults out with a supply voltage of ~12.6V and only works with a supply of ~14V, you should fix the inverter issue and leave the truck's charging system to function as it was meant to.

Thanks for the reply. I did the math for the watts to amps at 12v instead of 120v the inverter is half the size I need.

A bigger inverter will not solve the current-limiting and voltage drop inherent to using a lighter socket. Give an inverter a lower input voltage (voltage drop through the factory harness with tiny wiring and half a dozen inline connectors) and the input current must increase to compensate.