Thread: Turbo 4.8 Max Knock Retard Normal Driving

Tuner in Training

Turbo 4.8 Max Knock Retard Normal Driving

Hey all you tuners, I'm getting maximum knock retard (-8 deg) randomly at low speeds, despite never getting more than 1 or 2 degrees of KR at WOT. It's a 4.8 with a sloppy stage 2 cam and single gt45 turbo, intercooled, and probably worth noting it's on the original knock sensors. This is my first time tuning a boosted engine and aside from WOT and idle, I really don't know what timing advance numbers are typical. I've actually pulled tons of timing out of the thing and I think its really soft on timing (when compared to some tunes from the sloppy mechanics tune file cabinet) yet I still have this problem of KR pulling 8 degrees when driving around normally. I've attached the tune and a log of me just driving around my neighborhood getting tones of KR. This is with 93 octane pump gas by the way.

12-26-20 Neighborhood Drive Knock Retard.hpl

Cobra 12-26-20 Turbo VE edit14 idle airflow changes.hpt

Any help/advice is much appreciated!

Is there ever a pending knock sensor code?

If there is, that could be a reason why. You'd have to read the codes when the issue happens to see if it's in the history as pending.

A simple test is to just disable the two knock sensor codes.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give that a shot and report back with what happens. You're the man! Always the one who replies to my tuning woes with helpful ideas lol

Tuner in Training
    Lo and behold it didn't do the random 8 degrees of KR thing again, and didn't throw any codes. Seems to be an intermittent issue, but I log pretty much every time I drive it so I'll be sure to check for codes next time it does it.