Thread: Tires affecting AFR

Tuner in Training

Tires affecting AFR

So today we went to the track, it was horrible conditions with a 20-40mph headwind. But we had the wierdest thing happen, for some reason the truck ran richer on slicks that are 28.8 inches tall than on 22 inch wheels with 31.6 inch tall tires. It also ran extremely rich on 24.6 inch tall tires. I have a lm1 wideband but do not have the interface(i will be getting it next week) I WAS NOT watching the wideband during runs. BUT you can see on the narrowbands that the car was running richer, it was also running higher inj duty cycles, so it was definately rich. My question is Why would changing tires affect the AFR. All runs were on the same tune just changing the tire size. It was enough difference that the truck ran 11.94 on the 31.6 tires on 22's, 12.3 on the 28.8's and 12.4 on the 24.6's, and it was not running out of gear, all runs were finished in 3rd gear. the log with the tall tires and 22's was on the street also, not at the track. I did not log the 22's at the track because i gave up and just guesed they would be slower, but they are all on the same tune. run 1 is with 28.8 tires. run 4 is with the 24.6 tires. 2 out is with the 31.6 tires.
    Last edited by emdub27; 01-14-2007 at 11:39 PM.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    your ve table is probably off. Bottom line is run1.hpl you hit 185kpa in 1st & second gear but yet in 2out.hpl you only hit ~160kpa meaning the run1.hpl you were hitting cells you never hit with 2out.hpl. Your ve looks roughed in rather then complete so who really knows whats going on in those upper cells.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Senior Tuner
    The tires, just like taller gears, make the engine work more
    (torque, load) to move the body while the RPM runs up
    slower with time. When the engine is revving up fast, the
    airflow can "get left behind" - both in the actual, inlet-
    filling lag of the blower or turbo and in the sensors' time
    lag of response. A high delta-RPM means you are kind of
    fueling to "yesterday's news". Same reason third gear and
    second gear fueling differs, and dyno from street. I guess
    whatever attempt at windage that may be in the dynamic
    airflow routines is not really up to the job. Don't know if
    there are coefficients that could be adjusted for the lead
    needed to make it more consistent with delta-RPM.