Thread: Engine Drivetrain Abuse vs Trans Abuse Mode

Tuner in Training

Engine Drivetrain Abuse vs Trans Abuse Mode

I have seen various Gen 3 videos where they have us disable "Abuse" under either the Engine or the Trans sections or even in both places, but I am still confused on how the Engine Torque Management Drivetrain Abuse differs from the one under Trans Torque Management called Abuse Mode, could someone elaborate on those please.

On my 2001 GMC Sierra 4.8L one is set to 1,600 RPM and the other to 1,200 RPM for example.
    Last edited by Gregski; 03-23-2021 at 01:17 AM.

Abuse in GM as I remember it from some of my GM schools at the dealer was a raised rpm dumping it into a gear from neutral. You know like stuck in sand and rocking the vehicle to get out of the hole. It attempts to save the drivetrain, mounts, etc. etc.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMechanic View Post
    Abuse in GM as I remember it from some of my GM schools at the dealer was a raised rpm dumping it into a gear from neutral. You know like stuck in sand and rocking the vehicle to get out of the hole. It attempts to save the drivetrain, mounts, etc. etc.
    Thank you, so it's not sitting at a stop sign in Drive left foot on brake right foot bringing up the RPMs to say 1,500 and then lifting off the brake?

I am not questioning you or anyone on here, I am just trying to learn and help others.

the following post titled Abuse Mode? by vhato sounded pretty convincing to me

https://www.gmfullsize.com/threads/a...48/post-384762

"Abuse Mode is part of the transmission Torque Management. It operates from 0-1600 rpm in first gear only.

If you stomp the gas from a dead stop or from a very slow speed, the Abuse Mode program reduces engine horsepower to prevent any *possible* damage to the transmission.

Here is a graph I made from AutoTAP showing my truck from a dead stop.

Red is the throttle position, blue is ignition advance and green is engine speed. Notice as soon as the red line (gas pedal) goes to 100%, the blue line (ignition advance) is dropped BELOW 0 degrees. The blue line should be around +15 degrees or preferably more. So the engine doesn't really accelerate hard until around 1500-1600 RPM. Removing abuse mode gives you instant power when you mash the gas.

Here is the first part of the actual data in the graph. That -12.5 degrees should be a +15 or more."
    Last edited by Gregski; 03-22-2021 at 02:44 PM.

Interesting. During trans classes in Burbank it was given to us as what I described. I do not have a way to prove it only to explain what the GM instructors told us. Been almost 10 years since I went to any of them and it could easily have been changed. I do know that many vehicle will go to idle when power braked and it will make the throttle close. Thanks Toyota.

Dang. Just read your post. Terrific. Didn't know about the tach trick on 8=3. You just fixed an issue I had on a pre runner with an aftermarket Holley dash. You da man.

Tuner in Training
    so I don't mean to beat a dead horse but I really am determined to get to the bottom of this, and here i will post links to the threads that come up when you Google varieties of Gen 3 HP Tuners Abuse Mode, some posts may be old but it goes to show how these questions are left unanswered or how the information conflicts with another

HPtuners question about trans. abuse mode
    "My question is, does setting abuse mode to "disable" override the set rpms, tps and mph? In other words if you have abuse mode set to "disable", does it matter or not matter what you have your rpms, tps or mph set? If it does matter, then if "torque reduction" is set to all 0's, will 0 torque reduction be applied?"

LS1tech Should I turn all the tq abuse modes off?l
    "I have a stock 4l60e with a shift kit should I turn the abuse modes off...?"

"Are you talking about abuse mode or torque management? They are different. Torque management limits the torque during the shifts to help the life of the tranny. Abuse mode from what I have read is activated when you foot brake the car to do like a burnout. It puts the tranny and car into limp mode and can severly hinder the launching ability of the car. I disabled my abuse mode and I no longer have this issue.

As far as torque management since you have the stock tranny I would not completely remove TM, just half the values. You can completely remove TM but I doubt your tranny will live long like that."
    Last edited by Gregski; 03-23-2021 at 12:41 AM.

Tuner in Training
    Here I will just link to YouTube videos, again same idea, is this the good, the bad, or the ugly, I'll let you decide.

Alfred Martinez Hp tuners setting abuse mode.

Goat Rope Garage Gen 3 Torque Management In HP Tuners, Getting Max Power And Keeping Things In One Piece!

RecklessMotorsportsUSA Base tune for gen 3 vehicle using hptuners
    Last edited by Gregski; 03-23-2021 at 01:31 AM.

I don't wanna confuse things, but on my Gen4 the Abuse Mode simply prevents neutral drops. Shifter in N, rev engine and move shifter to D, trans stays in neutral until RPM falls below the threshold. With abuse tables stock and engine TM disabled there is no limiting after the trans has completed the change from park or neutral into D or R.

Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    I don't wanna confuse things, but on my Gen4 the Abuse Mode simply prevents neutral drops. Shifter in N, rev engine and move shifter to D, trans stays in neutral until RPM falls below the threshold. With abuse tables stock and engine TM disabled there is no limiting after the trans has completed the change from park or neutral into D or R.
    That is how the instructors at GM school explained it to us technicians. Sometimes you would get a good one that would let us know the back story behind stuff that was coming out and sometimes you would get a guy who would just read the script. Regardless many of the classes were pretty nice. Oh and the dealership paid mileage, food, and a motel. A few times at the Burbank Hilton.