Thread: Torque Management and VE tuning

Torque Management and VE tuning

I got my wideband installed this weekend and set up my truck to tune OLSD. I disabled DFCO and PE (Bad idea, going to enable it and filter the histogram commanded AFR >14.6) and did all the other normal VE tuning stuff. I went back to stock to start this tune. What I'm wondering is will TM affect actual AFR, or at least enough to be noticeable. I have 100% TM right now, but will remove it if necessary.
    2005 Sierra Z71 SLT CCSB (LM7)
    STS GT67, LPE GT 2-3, ASP Pulley, Delphi 42#, A'PEXi AVC-R, PLX SM-AFR, FLT Level 5 4L65E, PI Vig 2600, HP Tuners with 2-Bar SD OS (Plus some smaller mods)

Support our Troops

If you are in OLSD you really don't need to filter anything out as you are trying to make your actual AFR match your commanded AFR even if the commanded AFR moves around.

TM if active will move the AFR around as timing gets pulled but you shouldn't adjust your VE/MAF if torque management is active anyway. That is not a normal condition so I wouldn't tune for it.

EC
    Always Support Our Troops!

Senior Tuner
    To add to Doug's comments, you can increase the required number of hit for the cells to populate. This also helps with filtering out stray data points during rough transitions which can adversely affect your tune.

Thanks for your responses. I have my AFR error cells hits at 15. My thinking was that the VE table should be tuned to get 14.7 everywhere, so that PE will be right when it comes on. I kinda understand what you mean Doug. I'm logging ERROR, not the actual AFR. You know a whole lot more than I do, I'll try it without the filter.
    STS GT67, LPE GT 2-3, ASP Pulley, Delphi 42#, A'PEXi AVC-R, PLX SM-AFR, FLT Level 5 4L65E, PI Vig 2600, HP Tuners with 2-Bar SD OS (Plus some smaller mods)

Support our Troops

You should be logging both Commanded AFR and Wideband AFR you don't actually have to log AFR Error% as it is calulated automatically from the above.

You will want PE to enable as well so you don't hurt anything in the motor.

HTH

EC

I'm logging commanded AFR low and high resolution. The custom PID that comes with scanner uses the Commanded AFR sensor to calculate. Do I need to use high or low resolution, or either for this PID? It's not affecting my framerate right now, I'm at 22 bytes logging both, but it will be a factor if I want to add a few bytes to log. I set PE back to normal. I have my part throttle VE dialed in, going to start on WOT tonight.

Thanks for yer lernins

Support our Troops

Usually you want Commanded AFR HI Res. Although some vehicles only hae Lo Res.

All ya'll's welcome.

EC