Thread: need help with knock retard not going away

Tuner in Training

need help with knock retard not going away

recently did a few WOT pulls and logged some KR, see scan1

i pulled ~8-degrees of timing out of the spark>advance>base>high-octane table from the affected cells, see attached tune

this made a huge crater in my timing table

after writing the tune & a few more WOT pulls, i'm still seeing roughly 8 degrees KR in the same cells, see scan2

i logged knock-learn-factor which remained at 0 during both scans

am i missing something in what i'm doing

i had this same thing previously happen over & over after 4 logs before i reverted to factory tune & started from scratch

timing.jpg

scan20210828-PE-scan1.hpl
    scan20210830-PE-scan2.hpl
    camaro-2021-08-30-retune-PE.hpt
    2004 LM4/4l60e (5.3l from buick rainier), long tube headers, ls1 intake, & airraid intake tube in 68 camaro

No. That is not how the Injector Flow Rate table works. The kpa labels there are the vacuum, the kpa your MAP sensor reads is absolute pressure. A MAP reading of 30kpa is 70kpa vacuum, assuming a default sea level 100kpa baro. If you have a return style regulator that table needs to have the same value in every cell. If you have changed to a returnless style, it needs to slope from high flow rate at high vacuum (low pressure, low MAP reading) to lower flow rate at lower vacuum (higher pressure, higher MAP).

What happened to that poor VE table? Jesus. Looks like somebody beat it with a shovel.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    No. That is not how the Injector Flow Rate table works. The kpa labels there are the vacuum, the kpa your MAP sensor reads is absolute pressure. A MAP reading of 30kpa is 70kpa vacuum, assuming a default sea level 100kpa baro. If you have a return style regulator that table needs to have the same value in every cell. If you have changed to a returnless style, it needs to slope from high flow rate at high vacuum (low pressure, low MAP reading) to lower flow rate at lower vacuum (higher pressure, higher MAP).

What happened to that poor VE table? Jesus. Looks like somebody beat it with a shovel.
    close to sea level, near raleigh nc

have return-style aftermarket vacuum assisted fuel regulator & fuel pressure feed to hptuners

default injector-flow-table was 25.2lb/h across the board. these factory injectors are rated at 25.2 lbs/hr @ 58psi

but after seeing fuel pressure increase with vacuum(image below), i altered the injector table to account for the extra pressure. was that unwise

fuelPressure.JPG

i kept smoothing the VE table after each tune but each new scan would return the spikes to the exact same spots over & over (was only multiplying by 1/2 %), so gave in & left spikes
    Last edited by shanekennedy; 08-30-2021 at 06:04 PM.
    2004 LM4/4l60e (5.3l from buick rainier), long tube headers, ls1 intake, & airraid intake tube in 68 camaro

Senior Tuner
    You are a bit off track on this one. You're certainly getting some false knock. It's hard to say if it's doing that because it's too rich, or if there is a mechanical issue. You may have to track it down...

Here are a few things that will help with the tune.

1. Return the IFR table to stock.
    2. Put the stock VE back in the tune. Put the High Octane timing table back to stock...then copy it over to the low octane table.
    3. Disable the MAF by going to the Engine Diag tab and change MAF fail high to 0. Then change P0101, 102, and 103 to "MIL on First Error."
    4. Change the PE Delay to 0 rpm and 0 seconds. Change the PE target to 12.0.
    5. Go to the Engine tab, and Torque Management, then change the Abuse Mode to 7000 rpm. Go to ETC TPS Max and change the entire table to 100. Go to ETC Injector Disable and change the entire table to 255.
    6. Go to Transmission, then Torque Management, and enter 7000 rpm for Abuse Mode. Then "0" the 1-2 Torque Management. Then multiply the 2-3 TM row by .5.

Pull codes the next time you run the vehicle. If there are any current of pending knock sensor codes, that will cause it to pull the max timing as well. Which in this tune is 8 degrees.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Pull codes the next time you run the vehicle. If there are any current of pending knock sensor codes, that will cause it to pull the max timing as well. Which in this tune is 8 degrees.
    KR.JPG

i have pending KR codes

so will resetting codes after each timing adjustment work around pulling max timing ?

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by shanekennedy View Post
    KR.JPG

i have pending KR codes

so will resetting codes after each timing adjustment work around pulling max timing ?
    For now, just change the Knock Sensor Codes to "No Error Reported." That will prevent it from having unwanted timing retard.

Either the codes will have to be fixed to stop this issue or you will have to turn the codes off to stop this issue. The knock sensors can still function with the codes off.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.