Thread: GenV 3.0 Whipple Throttle surge (gen2 5.0)

GenV 3.0 Whipple Throttle surge (gen2 5.0)

Throttle surge issue
    Gen2 5.0/6r80 swapped into a Fox Mustang with a Gen5 Whipple 3.0. Did a base calibration on the dyno and got it running, idling, and driving on dyno fine, wot fine (700 whp at around 11 psi).
    When on the street and accelerating with mild throttle 15 to 30 percent, the car will surge and oscillate the throttle up and down. I see that this is semi common with some whipple cars, and creates an IPC error. I cannot figure out how to solve this issue. Any input?

Advanced Tuner
    In vcmscanner, log load and desired load at a high data rate.

You have the 132 mm Tb?

Yes. When I get where I can post tune and log I will. Currently posting from phone.

Advanced Tuner
    Ok, I don't see desired load on there and load is on a slow data rate. I'd take all the mapped points off because it will allow faster data. Put load and desired load on the fasted data rate.

What throttle body is on the car?

That log was taken before I had a chance to change channels and log again. Has the 132mm throttle. Gen 5 3.0 blower.

I will take a new one tomorrow...

Made a histogram logging ETC error to change predicted and effective throttle area...

Made another one for throttle error vs load and rpm....

Made the appropriate changes to the torque and inverse tables... and the throttle body model tables... and issue is fixed. Smooth throttle throughout the range...

Apparently the torque in the tables in that area needed to be lowered, and the 2 tables for the throttle body model needed some adjusting to make it more linear.

Advanced Tuner
    The beginning of your issue is actually within your imrc tab. You disabled 0-13. On a stock calibration, that would be fine. But your tune Is set up to run 0-13 with 14+ disabled.

To correct this, you must imrc open 0-13 and imrc closed 14-25.
    Vct tab mapped points enabled 0-13 and disable 14-25.
    Change the throttle body model back to its original 132mm values.

Then record a datalog and correct any torque errors found in torque/inverse 0-13, if any.
    You want to keep your throttle body model to its known model. Yes, you can fix torque errors by adjusting the tb model. ThiS will also throw a lot of calculations off that include these two tables. Some of which are more important in your case because you have an auto which rely on these calculations to perform correctly.