Thread: LT4 Stand Alone Harness With OEM Start/Stop Switch and Gauge cluster

Potential Tuner

LT4 Stand Alone Harness With OEM Start/Stop Switch and Gauge cluster

I have an LT4 engine & all the wiring out of a 2016 Corvette Z06. I am putting it into an 81 Camaro. I made my own stand alone harness out of the factory harness, and got it to operate with the factory start/stop button. The problem I am having is that to get the ignition to turn on I have to hold the button down for approx 10 seconds. The gauge cluster lights up for a couple of seconds, then goes black for about 15 to 20 seconds, then lights back up & stays on. to engage the starter motor, I have to hold the clutch switch down then press the start button. After 2 to 3 seconds The starter solenoid engages. To shut it off, & hold down the start/stop button And the ignition shuts off. To get this all to work, I have the body control module & the keyless entry module zip tied together. I also have the lower steering column cover with the key fob slot & the RFID receiver plugged into the harness. In order to operate the dash, I have the steering wheel with the touch controls on it hooked up to the harness also. My question is, can I delete all of the unused modules out of the body control module ??. I need to remove the SRS/Airbag module, ABS Module, Power seat, HVAC, Power Windows, Mirrors, Radio, etc. Will my HPTuner work on the body control module ?? or is it only for the engine ECM. I have already disabled the VATS, etc. When I hook up my scan tool, I have 67 Fault codes in the BCM. I dont know if this is the correct place to post this, if not can someone redirect me to the correct area.

Thank You
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 67GTO; 01-03-2022 at 07:05 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Cool project!

HP tuners cannot read or write the BCM.

Are you planning on running the IPC, BCM and using the factory key etc in the Camaro?

Potential Tuner
    The main reason I didn't want to do / pay for a typical stand alone harness is that none of them are set up to run the OEM gauge cluster, and all they give you is a wire for ignition on/off and the yellow wire to the starter solenoid. So the only options would be to wire everything into an older steering column mounted ignition switch, which is what I may end up doing. The main reason I want to retain the gauge cluster is all of the gauges; Water temp, oil temp, oil pressure, trans fluid temp, fuel gauge, tach etc are already set up & operational. When you are doing a swap, a major pain in the ass, is installing sending units for everything, & hooking up gauges. Or going with the OBDII plug in gauges like Dakota Digital. My plan is to try & swap in a new style camaro gen 6 complete dash assy & steering column into my 81 camaro. I have measured the overall width between the hinge pillars and they are close. The gen 6 camaro gauge cluster pinout is the same as the 2016 Corvette, it uses the exact same connector, etc.

Potential Tuner
    I'm glad I'm not the only one crazy enough to try and transplant a whole main body harness to a second gen Camaro. I'm doing a 2019 ZL1 to 1978 Z-28 swap. I got the dash, center console, all the modules, and engine/trans to swap.

Did you use the factory key? When I had the wrecker pull the engine and harness I never got a key. I'm not sure about how to go about programing a key.

I dont know if linking to other forums is allowed but here is my build log over at Nastyz28. https://nastyz28.com/threads/1978-z-...malgam.344828/

Tuner in Training
    You need the instructions from the 2019 owners manual on how to program a new fob when all fobs are lost. It takes about 30 min to complete the process. But I think it requires opening and closing doors so you may not be able to make it work.

Impressive build. Good luck.
    Last edited by easttxss; 09-18-2023 at 04:55 PM.