Thread: Help with VE tuning please, and a few other questions

Advanced Tuner

Help with VE tuning please, and a few other questions

first off it's the same 97 turbo s10 i am working on. heres a couple of problems o am running into. i cannot reset my fuel trims, i do not have the buttons in my scanner that allow it to, guess that feature was not added yet so with that being the case

1. How do i reset the trims? do they take x amount of time or miles? if so how much? it seems when i get things close in my ve the slowly keep changing. i tune buy cut and paste, log then scan. is the trims not changing as fast as i flash them hence they change over time?

2. when do i use the paste special multiply% vs. using the multiply%-half? is one better then the other?

3. i will post my tune and scan but i cannot seem to get it dialed in, like it will be close to 0 and i cut and multiply from my histo onto my editor, hand smooth and flash, it will go from being say -2 rich to 2 lean? how is that, the only guess i have it i am flashing and giving the computer enough time to learn the new flash.

4. i do not have a ol ve chart so i am logging in closed loop, egr removed"physically" DFCO off, 12.5 PE AFR multi 1.0, and i am having to use 30 ve offset to get my afr down. i have my histo set up so i can cut and paste my low rpm ltft's and my 50% PE wideband error, i take both these and paste them on my low single and double table, used the high ltft and wb error for the high table. is this wrong? i get close then then it starts going further away again. like i said my PE is at 0 delay and 50.% throttle.

5. i have my kr still to deal with but i am having a heck of a time getting my ve figured out. i am sure i am missing something...

currently i have the offset 30% tune in the truck and i am chasing trims all over along with AFR in PE........please help

Advanced Tuner
    Bump!

i got a 99 s10 at 22% ve increase it needed it and runs pretty good. i cant go above that though. and as for your questions. You mihgt want to reword one or two.

1. i asked the same ? and no one answered about when ve tables change so i feel your pain.

and your log looks fine to me for a one bar just tweak those 105 kpa on that knock.
    2006 SS Cobalt SC
    Stage 2 ZZP Cams
    Headers, 3.0" Full ZZP Exhaust
    60lb inj. Intake.
    2.8 Pulley
    72# Lb. Supertech Springs
    LNF Ext Valves and lashers
    Cobre H/E, option B.
    Torque Damper
    HPTuned.
    Bitchin'

Quote Originally Posted by popeye55
    first off it's the same 97 turbo s10 i am working on. heres a couple of problems o am running into. i cannot reset my fuel trims, i do not have the buttons in my scanner that allow it to, guess that feature was not added yet so with that being the case

1. How do i reset the trims? do they take x amount of time or miles? if so how much? it seems when i get things close in my ve the slowly keep changing. i tune buy cut and paste, log then scan. is the trims not changing as fast as i flash them hence they change over time?

2. when do i use the paste special multiply% vs. using the multiply%-half? is one better then the other?

3. i will post my tune and scan but i cannot seem to get it dialed in, like it will be close to 0 and i cut and multiply from my histo onto my editor, hand smooth and flash, it will go from being say -2 rich to 2 lean? how is that, the only guess i have it i am flashing and giving the computer enough time to learn the new flash.

4. i do not have a ol ve chart so i am logging in closed loop, egr removed"physically" DFCO off, 12.5 PE AFR multi 1.0, and i am having to use 30 ve offset to get my afr down. i have my histo set up so i can cut and paste my low rpm ltft's and my 50% PE wideband error, i take both these and paste them on my low single and double table, used the high ltft and wb error for the high table. is this wrong? i get close then then it starts going further away again. like i said my PE is at 0 delay and 50.% throttle.

5. i have my kr still to deal with but i am having a heck of a time getting my ve figured out. i am sure i am missing something...

currently i have the offset 30% tune in the truck and i am chasing trims all over along with AFR in PE........please help
    How much boost are you making? Intercooled? A commanded 12.5 AFR is too lean. Then do a WOT run in 3rd gear from 1000 rpm to redline. This makes for a much better AFR resolution.

I use paste special multiply by %, then once the AFR is very close, I use paste special multiply by % - half. This will only apply when your in PE. The part throttle fuel tuning will be by the fuel trims. If the fuel trim reset doesn't work in the scanner, then disconnect the battery cable for 10 sec. Just get the LTFT to -7 to 0. It would help if you would name the tune & matching scan log the same.

I thought I posted a config file a while back? What happened to the manifold vacuum kpa pid? It is needed for the idle VE table.

Russ Kemp

if 12.5 is too lean what should us s10 guys put it on?
    for say 7-10psi.
    Last edited by redhotjamedjimi; 01-04-2007 at 12:24 AM.
    2006 SS Cobalt SC
    Stage 2 ZZP Cams
    60lb inj. Intake.
    2.8 Pulley
    Cobre H/E, option B.
    Torque Damper
    HPTuned.
    Bitchin'

Advanced Tuner
    i just set mine to 11.5 but my problem now is getting my FMU adjusted, it's dumping so much fuel so fast i am getting a afr of 9.0 in places and i cannot correct it with my tables, any one have any experence with the cartech fmu?

Quote Originally Posted by redhotjamedjimi
    if 12.5 is too lean what should us s10 guys put it on?
    for say 7-10psi.
    11.5 AFR for none intercooled & 12.0 if intercooled.

Russ Kemp

Hey russ (im also a russ) Whats the deal with those ve tables? perhaps u can enlighten us on when the computer changes them? Is that what that 3rd gear 1000rpm to 6000rpm would do? or more rapid like at any time it is way off?
    2006 SS Cobalt SC
    Stage 2 ZZP Cams
    60lb inj. Intake.
    2.8 Pulley
    Cobre H/E, option B.
    Torque Damper
    HPTuned.
    Bitchin'

I'm not sure of your question. All the VE tables except the idle VE table are referenced to TPS%, not map. The idle VE table is referenced to map kpa.
    I use 3rd gear so that the engine rpm's increase slower and to prevent tire spin.

Russ Kemp
    Last edited by Russ K; 01-04-2007 at 10:28 PM.

What im asking is. IF i were to change a Ve table would it ever change once the car is running?

Or if i had a stock tune before turbo. then put a turbo on would the ve tables change and if not what is making up for the extra fuel?

or is the fuel reg with a 1:1 boost adding the extra fuel?

or do the ve tables increase themselves.

or is it a stft vs ve? i believe long term is just at idle?

hopefully u know what im asking.

also off topic i have a tb spacer. would i be betetr off without it? Sometimes when im idling at 1000rpm when it advances for ve table spark it will bog to 800rpm or a lil below then go back up. only about 15% of the time but i want to get rid of that bahavior. BTW im using a 2 bar.
    Last edited by redhotjamedjimi; 01-04-2007 at 03:09 PM.
    2006 SS Cobalt SC
    Stage 2 ZZP Cams
    60lb inj. Intake.
    2.8 Pulley
    Cobre H/E, option B.
    Torque Damper
    HPTuned.
    Bitchin'

You make the changes to the VE table to get the AFR to match the commanded AFR in PE. You set the part throttle
    areas of the VE tables on the 2.2 S10's by what the LTFT's are. The VE table can't change itself.

What does a 2 bar map do, as the VE tables use TPS%, not map kpa? Just the idle table uses map kpa.

STFT and LTFT are used on all the VE tables like any other vehicle.

A TB spacer will not cause an idle problem. What is a VE spark table?

I changed the this config file, as the idle VE table histogram was incorrect.

Russ Kemp
    Last edited by Russ K; 01-04-2007 at 10:47 PM.

main spark not idle on the ve spark.
    when it changes at 1%tps from idle is when theres problems. so i advanced my idle spark and my other one like 8 degrees or something and it runs nice. but its way off the stock which would run a more reliable post-idle increase of rpm.

SOrry i know im new. Just my only prob and i dont see how the ve tables would affect it or why the spark is not reliable. seems like my lightened flywheel kind of killed the crank energy.?
    2006 SS Cobalt SC
    Stage 2 ZZP Cams
    60lb inj. Intake.
    2.8 Pulley
    Cobre H/E, option B.
    Torque Damper
    HPTuned.
    Bitchin'