Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Factory Five GTM Crate LS3 with E38 ECU throttle issue

Factory Five GTM Crate LS3 with E38 ECU throttle issue

Long story but I initially bought an E38 ECU - wrong firmware deal - put newer tune in it and it made it untuneable or corrupted the ECU - car ran ok but had a slight hesitation right after a WOT - never did the relearn procedure.... anyway - wanted to be able to tune the ECU so I bought the "correct" E38 for the 2010 tune I had 12633238 ... tune went in no problem and now I can write and read until I run out of battery power on the laptop..... great !!

Well today - I am running the car and at anything over the 60% throttle the ECU and DBW 2015 Camaro pedal stop communicating and that's all she wrote until I disconnect the battery or clear the DTC's. (Which don't really say anything). I put a 2015 tune in there to replace the 2010 tune I had - same thing... you don't even need the car running - you can just see on the logger with the key on.

I put the "corrupt" E38 ECU in there -runs awesome rev's to redline and I get full throttle!!!

any ideas??

Be nice to post the files

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C

Ben -

I can - but this is really more of a hardware question I guess. I basically have an LS swap harness for the E38 ECU - with a crate LS376. I used a Camaro throttle pedal out of a '15 - I had to swap the pinout at the pedal to get the old ECU to work. I guess my question is more, would the E38 ECU will different OS's pinout differently? I just noticed this morning (shame on me for not noticing earlier) that the instructions for the LS swap harness requires a C6 Corvette pedal...so I guess my question now is:

Are the pinouts for the 15 Camaro and the C6 Pedal the same?

Would the pinouts be different between the 2 versions of E38 ECU's?? It does seem so since one ECU works and the other one doesn't?

and one update: I am getting a D/E Correlation fault only with the new E38 ECU - vs the older E38 that has no codes.

Thanks!!
    Last edited by eriktreves; 04-03-2022 at 06:42 AM.

ok - I am not sure what else to do - I changed to a corvette pedal and I am still getting a D/E correlation issue - the voltages look ok compared to the "corrupted" ECU which is working fine as far as the pedal goes... so I have attached the tune file which looks identical to the other tune - so the only thing I can think of is that there is some Firmware issue or something...

the setup again is a LS 376 with a E38 ECU (corvette 2010-2015; 12633238) and a corvette pedal (now).

As soon as I get about 50% throttle the ECU throws a fault and the Throttle becomes non-responsive......

I know this has been done 1000 time before me - of course I have probably over looked something...
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by eriktreves; 04-06-2022 at 08:13 PM.

Tuning Addict
    Usually it's poor wiring/crimps/pin tensions when this problem is present. Best thing to do is to log all voltages then with key on work the pedal and see if they're dropping out or not reading correctly.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

thanks for the response! - logged it several times - the voltages look identical between the 2 ECU's (1 I corrupted so i can't tune anymore but it allows the car to be driven) - the other ECU loads and communicates with HP TUNERS - allows the car to start but wont take anything more than 55% throttle -

Tuning Addict
    The pedal is for a 15 2ss camaro - as far as the camaro pedal went? AND it's definitely setting pedal codes? Not TB correlation codes? If these are the case then start checking pins and pulling on wires to see if one comes out - loose crimps will cause all sorts of weird issues. Last thing - could just be a bad pcm - even new. Old ecm cal may have had whatever code turned off so pedal would work.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

yeah - I pretty sure the pedal and the wiring is all good given all the checks I have done - The Camaro and Corvette Pedal required me to swap pins D and F to get the pedal to talk - the OS on the "new" ECU is 1250229; I was actually thinking my ECU might be bad (though "they" said it was good) - interesting about the cal being turned off - I loaded the old ECU when I bricked - so I never had the opportunity to turn that off?

to your questions:

The pedal is for a 15 2ss camaro - as far as the camaro pedal went? Both the Camaro and Corvette pedals had the same issue when paired with the "new" ECU - but work with the old E38 ECU

AND it's definitely setting pedal codes? Yes - I experimented with swapping the 5volt reference and low voltage pins and could see the fault. I keep getting the D/E correlation error. If I remember right it was P2138
    Last edited by eriktreves; 04-06-2022 at 08:53 PM.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by eriktreves View Post
    Long story but I initially bought an E38 ECU - wrong firmware deal - put newer tune in it and it made it untuneable or corrupted the ECU - car ran ok but had a slight hesitation right after a WOT - never did the relearn procedure.... anyway - wanted to be able to tune the ECU so I bought the "correct" E38 for the 2010 tune I had 12633238 ... tune went in no problem and now I can write and read until I run out of battery power on the laptop..... great !!

Well today - I am running the car and at anything over the 60% throttle the ECU and DBW 2015 Camaro pedal stop communicating and that's all she wrote until I disconnect the battery or clear the DTC's. (Which don't really say anything). I put a 2015 tune in there to replace the 2010 tune I had - same thing... you don't even need the car running - you can just see on the logger with the key on.

I put the "corrupt" E38 ECU in there -runs awesome rev's to redline and I get full throttle!!!

any ideas??
    Matching pedal, throttle body (silver vs gold blade), ECM, and compatible OS are critical for things like this.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

well that's what I am thinking but what is the combination - all I did was flash the tune into in the ECU - was I supposed to change the OS?

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by eriktreves View Post
    well that's what I am thinking but what is the combination - all I did was flash the tune into in the ECU - was I supposed to change the OS?
    Easiest path is pick all that came from one OE vehicle.. Like 2010 camaro SS pedal, throttle body, tune, OS etc.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Well I have corvette ECU, corvette pedal (now) and LS376 (485) - so grab a z06 tune? but do I need to "flash" the OS from HP - I didn't do that on this ecu- yet - I did that on the one I corrupted...which happens to work

welp - no change - maybe this ECU isn't good.... pretty much getting ready to throw in the towel and just keep the corrupted ECU in the car since it hauls the mail and all the fuel trims are pretty good.... I just can't tune it or remove any of the PIDS....runs great other than that issue - I licensed 5 different tunes and OS's - no change.

Finished 13 (1024x462).jpg

Finished 6.jpg
    Last edited by eriktreves; 04-07-2022 at 06:59 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    You should not just be licensing random tunes and flashing them. If your problem is not wiring relating you need to start with the correct combination of things as mentioned. Then flash a factory tune to the ECU with GM SPS/Techline that matches your combination. Then read that out with HPTuners and start there.

Ok - I think I must have misunderstood what the "process" was - That's exactly what I have been doing - I just bought an EBAY ECU with the service tag on it (12633238) - grab a tune off of the HP Tuner's website (list as a "stock tune") and flash the ECU.

The combination is LS 376 (Gold TB), Corvette Pedal or Camaro Pedal, E38 standalone harness - no transmission connections at all.

So what I am understanding what I SHOULD have done is get a specific ECU Flashed (Ebay offers this that I can see) for this combination - then read that into HP TUNER's and license it that way??

Am I understanding what you are saying??

and if so - who would you recommend I buy the ECU from...I have bought 2 ECU and 5 tunes thus far - so I am willing to do this one more time.....lol....
    Last edited by eriktreves; 04-08-2022 at 10:30 AM.

HP Tuners only flashes 6 of the 8 segments in a Gen4 ECM - and guess which two don't get flashed - yup, the ones that have the throttle controls stuff in em. Flashing it that way leaves the old throttle segments behind, untouched, same as whatever they were from the previous calibration.

lol... too funny - ugh.... ok so - so who do you (we) recommend to get the ECU flashed correctly?? ...before I play with the tune
    Last edited by eriktreves; 04-08-2022 at 11:02 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    You can do it yourself and it is the same process the dealer would go through if they did it. https://www.acdelcotds.com/subscriptions

Senior Tuner
    We can SPS. A lot of tune shops will have GM subscription and cable to do this.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com

So considering that I have screwed this up already - is there a thread that already covers this step by step process - like you have never done it before? I went to the website and it looks like it's a $40 fee? and I can use the HP dongle? anyway - I don't want "pay" for anymore unnecessary learning if you get my meaning.