Thread: Please Review My LS7 First Drive Log

Potential Tuner

Please Review My LS7 First Drive Log

Hi all. New member here and wanted to see if I could have some of the experts here weigh in on what they see with my data log from a short first drive today. Engine specs are as follows:

LS7 crate engine, stock LS7 injectors, fuel pressure set to ~58 psi referenced to atmosphere, Brodix BR7 heads CNC ported with slightly larger intake valves (AHP Archangel heads), MSD intake, Cam Motion 228/240-118+4 cam, long tube headers, cats are installed, and I'm running an LS7 card style MAF.

I noticed the car was stumbling from a stop and anything under ~2k RPM was stumbling and jerky as well. Honestly it felt like something was wrong under ~2k RPM. I stopped the car about half way through the log but continued logging during those few minutes so you'll see a dead spot there while I was getting gas. It took three attempts and a little throttle on the 3rd attempt to get the car to start after getting gas which I thought was odd since it fired right up the first time without issue in the garage. Of note, this is my first time driving an LS based car that has been modified. Thanks in advance to everyone!

LS7 First Drive Log.hplIMG_4237.jpg

Advanced Tuner
    you will want to post the tune as well so some of the heavyweights can take a peek.

Potential Tuner
    1.hpt

I have attached the current tune here for anyone to view.

Senior Tuner
    There are a few things that will help.
    I prefer to dial in the VVE table on an application like yours. It really helps with transient fueling.
    The MAF table is still just a bit too rich. It needs refinement as well.
    Disable Desoot mode.
    I typically disable traction control in a swap like yours, as well as increase the Max torque per gear tables and the Brake TM tables as well.

Tuner in Training
    Engine cylinder volume is set up for a 6.2

Advanced Tuner
    1.2.hpt

You are welcome to flash this in and see if it helps with the jerkiness under 2k rpm. I copied the vve and MAF from my ls7. My cam is a stage 2 with similar mods, so you may or may not end up having to add a tad of fuel down low and around idle. Is this an automatic or manual vehicle? Base Running Airflow looks high to me. Does throttle hang before coming back to idle? From the looks of your tune, you are running MAF only right now. Is that due to dialing in the MAF table? As a matter of fact.. ill re-attach the tune with my MAF table in there too. you will want to verify and adjust the MAP offset/linear settings depending on your elevation.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks to those who replied and offered insight and the tune to try. I am struggling with my pedal going dead now and have not been able to log more than 40 total miles over the past month or so. I put approximately 35 miles on it and when I gave it a sharp jab on the accelerator pedal on my last drive a few weeks ago the DBW pedal completely died. Zero input. The picture shows the codes I pulled with HPT scanner. I am using a stock BMW E46 pedal (chassis is an E46 M3) and my wiring harness from Wiring Specialties was built to allow use of the stock pedal. To my knowledge my tuner used the 2010 Camaro LS3 tune that was on my PCM originally and tweaked it for my LS7 application. This is the tune attached in my first post. This LS3 tune is designed to work with the BMW pedal. Wiring Specialties said it can happen when writing a new tune that the pedal will drop out, but mine didn?t drop until 35 miles in. Seems strange. Any help is GREATLY appreciated. If I need to post somewhere better please advise.

EDIT: can?t post a picture right now for some reason, but the primary code is P060D. This stays even after clearing the codes.
    Last edited by jp8ch; 07-04-2022 at 12:23 PM.

Tuner in Training
    I'm running a 5.3 (gen4) in an E46 with the stock DBW pedal as well, no issues with 3000 km's of driving and a few HPDE's/Auto-X.
    I pulled the info to wire it up myself from this THREAD

Further in the thread beyond the pinouts, he shows he had to go in and shim part of the pedal which wore to get the potentiometer operating back within the correct range to prevent a dead pedal.
    Looks like that might be your issue that the voltages are slightly out of range throwing an error.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 325_53 View Post
    I'm running a 5.3 (gen4) in an E46 with the stock DBW pedal as well, no issues with 3000 km's of driving and a few HPDE's/Auto-X.
    I pulled the info to wire it up myself from this THREAD

Further in the thread beyond the pinouts, he shows he had to go in and shim part of the pedal which wore to get the potentiometer operating back within the correct range to prevent a dead pedal.
    Looks like that might be your issue that the voltages are slightly out of range throwing an error.
    Appreciate the reply. I got a brand new pedal assembly from BMW thinking that was the issue after reading out the voltages on the old pedal and thinking I noticed a hint of a jump in voltage versus a smooth ramp up/down as the pedal was moved. Fixed the issue until I got to the bottom of my driveway and then dead again. I?m going to write entire on my original tune and then segment swap the sections of the tuner my tuner modified and then try to write calibration. I?m hoping somewhere along the way my were entire tune loads have maybe messed up the throttle programming. Long shot but it?s the easiest attempt at a fox at this point. I?ll reply with the results.

Potential Tuner
    Ok, so took the baseline pre-2012 Camaro LS3 tune, segment swapped all 4 segments that my tuner made changes to, paid for two more universal credits, and did a write entire to my E38 PCM. The throttle worked just fine for about 15 minutes cruising around the neighborhood with a couple throttle stabs here and there. Then?pedal goes dead again. This is the brand new BMW pedal now too. I?m am a loss and not sure where to go from here. I will pay for assistance at this point if anyone has the solution! Thanks guys.

Tuner in Training
    What's the min/max % the pedal is reading out in the scanner during your logs?
    I'll compare to what I'm seeing to see if you're ending up slightly out of range causing the failure mode.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 325_53 View Post
    What's the min/max % the pedal is reading out in the scanner during your logs?
    I'll compare to what I'm seeing to see if you're ending up slightly out of range causing the failure mode.
    I am out to sea right now but will be home late next week. I can post up my results once I return. In the meantime I am still working to get my codes posted that popped up when I scanned the car following the pedal failure.

Potential Tuner
    image0.jpgimage1.jpg

Here are my two code pulls. the first one was prior to clearing codes and the second was what remained after clearing the codes.

Advanced Tuner
    from my understanding, whenever the codes say permanent, they will clear themselves after a certain amount of drive cycles. Does the pedal work currently?

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by LS ROB View Post
    from my understanding, whenever the codes say permanent, they will clear themselves after a certain amount of drive cycles. Does the pedal work currently?
    No, once the pedal dies it stays that way. Even if I clear codes I will get the tiniest little blip on the throttle before it dies again and throws the codes. The only way I have gotten it to stay off for anything more than a split second is to do a write entire on the PCM with my tune.

Advanced Tuner
    More of an observation from me than a solution, but the OS you are using is for a truck, you are copying Camaro parameters over, using an unknown (to us) throttle body with a non-factory pedal, and have not specified which exact harness you are using from that company. There is probably some sort of incompatibility issue there somewhere. Might be easier to set the tune back to stock or whatever you started with that was running. There are parts of tune files that HPT does not expose in the editor and does not read/write, which may include throttle stuff.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks to everyone for the input on the throttle issue. I am confident it is now resolved after much headache and frustration. As pointed out, my ECM was from a truck and the throttle control side of the E38 ECM (portion not accessible by HPT) did not jive with my tune and hardware setup. Once I had my computer flashed to a 2010 C6Z architecture all is well. So this is a stock LS7 throttle body and a BMW E46 DBW accelerator pedal. Works flawless now for over 100 miles so far.

Advanced Tuner
    Thanks for updating the thread with the solution. Glad to hear of no issues.