Thread: Suggestions to fix P0016 - Crankshaft Position - Camshaft Position Correlation

Suggestions to fix P0016 - Crankshaft Position - Camshaft Position Correlation

Long story short.

Engine is 2008 TBSS LS2 (with LS3 heads, LS9 cam, LSA supercharger), harness is GMPP LS2 controller kit harness, ECM is 2009 CTS-V.

Immediately after writing new tune it runs perfect for a few seconds then starts spitting/sputtering, then dies.

code thrown P0016 - Crankshaft Position - Camshaft Position Correlation

Tried to do crank relearn, don't know if i completed it, didnt see anything saying it was successful.

Cam sensor is new, & is correct for CTS-V.

Suggestions/help...please.

Conditions for Setting the DTC

The ECM detects that the CMP sensor pulses occur more than 11 crank degrees before, or 11 crank degrees after, nominal position for 24 out of 30 engine cycles.

Circuit/System Verification

Start the engine.
    Allow the engine to reach normal operating temperature.
    Allow the engine to idle.
    Observe the DTC information with a scan tool.
    ⇒ If the scan tool indicates P0016 has failed this ignition cycle, continue with the Circuit/System Testing.
    If the vehicle passes the Circuit/System Verification Test, then operate the vehicle within the Conditions For Running the DTC. You may also operate the vehicle within the conditions that are captured in the Freeze Frame/Failure Records Data List.

Circuit/System Testing

Important: You must perform the Circuit/System Verification before proceeding with Circuit/System Testing.

Inspect the engine front cover area, or review the service history of the vehicle for any recent repairs involving the timing chain, timing chain tensioner, camshaft, crankshaft, camshaft actuator, or sprockets.
    ⇒ If recent repairs were made, refer to Camshaft Timing Chain and Sprocket Replacement , and inspect the timing chain, timing chain tensioner, and both sprockets for proper timing alignment or indexing.
    Remove the engine front cover, refer to Engine Front Cover Replacement and inspect the timing chain, timing chain tensioner, and sprockets for wear or damage. Refer to Camshaft Timing Chain and Sprocket Cleaning and Inspection.
    ⇒ If any components are worn or damage, replace as necessary.
    To really be able to say it's for sure a mechanical issue, someone would have to make a bunch of assumptions about what's been done to the tune file. The service manual is assuming everything is stock and can't account for doofuses doing things like disabling CMP circuit codes.

If I run it with a GMPP E67 computer, I do not get any error code.

So you're good with guesses and assumptions, since there's no files posted? OK dude.

Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    So you're good with guesses and assumptions, since there's no files posted? OK dude.
    What kind of files do you want dude?

Maybe I was confused on what ECM i was using above when I sad the GMPP ECM doesnt get the P0016 code, but in fact it does.

I tried a different cam pos sensor, no change. Checking wiring at the Cam position sensor itself. I found this diagram for wiring to it.

But when I check voltage at the connector (key on, not running) that goes into the cam position sensor itself, I get this:

I tried different ECMs, one production '09 CTS-V E67 & the other GMPP E67, with same results.

The 14mV thew me off, .014 volts? And why dont I see +12v on it?

Tuning Addict
    If you're electrically good and something isn't just dropping out "should be able to catch in log if it is" - then it's mechanical. Possibly even spun reluctor on crank or wrongly positioned reluctor on crank if AM crank installed.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Quote Originally Posted by GHuggins View Post
    If you're electrically good and something isn't just dropping out "should be able to catch in log if it is" - then it's mechanical. Possibly even spun reluctor on crank or wrongly positioned reluctor on crank if AM crank installed.
    P0016 - Crankshaft Position - Camshaft Position Correlation (Bank 1 Sensor A)

Car has been sitting, has not been run hard, I changed camshaft & added supercharger. and now get this P0016, thinking its cam related vs crank.

when i check the voltage at the cam sensor connector, I don't get 12v on any terminal. I get 5v, 14mV & 5v. .014v doesn't seem right.
    Last edited by samckitt; 07-19-2022 at 12:13 PM.

One of those pictures up there is the pinout for the rear-mounted LS1 CMP, which is different from what the front-mounted sensor uses.

Also Gen4s use 5 volt reference for both CMP & CKP, while earlier Gen3s used 12v refs. You should probably use wiring and pinout info that matches the actual parts being used.

Verify wiring/pinouts at both ends of the harness, not just at the sensor. Having 5vref on two sensor pins is a strong indicator that there's either a harness issue or ECM issue.

Is the low ref wire shorted to the 5vref somewhere? If you jumper the 5vref pin to ground (it's current-limited, this won't burn anything up), does the pin that's supposed to be the low ref also drop to ~0v?

Senior Tuner
    Man I haven't ran into this issue in like 4 years so forgive me for not remembering the details exactly.

Something is up with some GMPP harness cam sensor pin out. I've had to switch two of them that have rolled in. One we couldn't get started for a month because the cam sensor was pinned wrong. Which is super odd cause every other LSX I know will run with the cam sensor unplugged. Pay close attention to that.. Also if the engine uses that little harness that goes between cam sensor and a little ways up on the timing cover.. make sure nothing is being switched or reversed in there.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Potential Tuner

Outcome?

Quote Originally Posted by samckitt View Post
    Long story short.

Engine is 2008 TBSS LS2 (with LS3 heads, LS9 cam, LSA supercharger), harness is GMPP LS2 controller kit harness, ECM is 2009 CTS-V.

Immediately after writing new tune it runs perfect for a few seconds then starts spitting/sputtering, then dies.

code thrown P0016 - Crankshaft Position - Camshaft Position Correlation

Tried to do crank relearn, don't know if i completed it, didnt see anything saying it was successful.

Cam sensor is new, & is correct for CTS-V.

Suggestions/help...please.
    I presume you got this sorted? What was the issue? I'm guessing when the cam was installed the timing was accidentally set a tooth out?

Got the same fault, about to pull the timing cover off after checking everything else, including pulling the starter motor out twice to check the crank sensor 🙄

I'm also getting maf high voltage and knock fault occasionally.

I'm hoping it is the issue aswell as hoping it's not my stupid fault 😂