Thread: 2012 Camaro LS3 E38 ECU stand alone - NOT STARTING

Tuner in Training

Exclamation 2012 Camaro LS3 E38 ECU stand alone - NOT STARTING

Hey guys,

I have a 2012 Camaro with the original LS3. I built a complete new wiring harness with Tefzel wire, etc.

I also have changed the fuel system to a racing fuel cell with a return style boost/vacuum controled fuel pressure regulator.

I use the ECU only, NO BCM and NO FPCM.

I have attached the current tune (VATS disabled) and a logfile while cranking.

Thank you in advance and best regards
    Bjoern

Crank Test 2022-08-18.hpl
    Lucille_Clockwork-Tune-NEW.hpt

You applied the 2 bar OS for whatever reason, that is why it will not start.

Flash back to the stock file with a write entire and try again.

It will not start with no fuel. The MAP sensor data has been changed to a 2 bar MAP sensor and the VE tables are completely blank, so it has no fuel to run the engine.

Also someone put the injector data at 80lb/hr, that data is wrong if this is a completely stock LS3 engine.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks,

But I have missed to say, that I have a ZR1 MAP Sensor and 80lb/hr injectors, rated at 43.5 PSI and a fuel pressure regulator set to 43.5 PSI.

This tune worked perfectly and I just have entered the new injector data plus the changes that I found here in the forum for a return style fuel system with vacuum/boost referenced fuel pressure regulator.

I will check my wiring, especially the crankshaft sensor, as I don't have a signal in the scanner 🤔

Thanks again.

Has it run since 2022/07/29 06:26:29 AM? Because that's when the custom OS with the all-zeroes VE tables appeared.

Changelog shows the last changes before that was Aug 2019, and at that time it had the normal OS with intact VVE.

I think you should check your files very very closely, and examine the changelogs, and see if you can figure out why you don't see the problem that two people have now pointed out.

Tuner in Training
    As 5FDP and Blindsquirrel have said all of your VE tables are completely blank, they need data.
    Last edited by crew chief; 08-19-2022 at 12:55 AM.

screenshot.19-08-2022 00.54.00.png

ZR1 MAP linear/offset is 312.50/-11.25. None of this stuff is optional.

Tuner in Training
    I don't know where the change to 2 bar Map is coming from, I have changed it to the correct values.

Tuner in Training
    Last post was deleted while editing it 🙈

Before I uploaded the new tune I have read the tune with that the car was running at least in October 2020. Since then I didn't do any changes to it.

The only way to undo the OS change is by flashing an old file from before that was applied, and only by using Write Entire.

Tuner in Training
    I have checked all previous versions of tunes that I got and all have the blank VE tables. But the car was running until the end of 2020, then I removed the ECU and stored it in my garage, so no changes could have been done to it.

Oh! Well it must be that you have a car that works by magic and does not need fuel. You have something very special there for sure.

Tuner in Training
    What I have found out now is that my E38 ECU with my Gen IV LS is using the VEE tables instead of the VE tables. So this should not be the problem.

Tuner in Training

Update - still NOT STARTING

Alright,

I have have measured and found out, that I had mixed 5V Ref and Signal of Crank and Cam Sensors. I have fixed it and the data is looking better, see the attached log while cranking.

I also have used an older tune and updated the injector data to it. Now I remember that I have hit the button of the 2 BAR MAP OS in the prior tune

Does anybody has an Idea what's still missing to fire it up?

Thank you in advance, best regards
    Bjoern

Crank Test 2022-08-19.hpl

Tuner in Training
    Car starts ans runs, I forgot to disable the starter fault checks. I don't have the ignition lock anymore and use a ARC switch panel :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Squintah81 View Post
    What I have found out now is that my E38 ECU with my Gen IV LS is using the VEE tables instead of the VE tables. So this should not be the problem.
    Read this real close.

The original, stock operating system in your ECM used VVE, virtual volumetric efficiency.

Applying the 2-bar operating system eliminated the VVE and changed it to non-virtual, conventional VE tables. Which are filled with zeroes.

Your tune is set up for almost-MAF-only, it takes over at 500 RPM. If by some miracle it manages to fire up solely off the cranking fuel table and get to 500 RPM, it will 'run', but with blank VE tables it is not even close to safe to run it that way. The VE is still referenced in MAF-only. You are not doing any of this even close to the right way and are going to have a real bad and very expensive day sometime real soon.

Squitah81!! did you ever get running, I have a 2013 6.2 looking for tune to get started

You read this thread and thought, hey, this is probably the guy who knows how to help with my project? srsly?