Thread: Dying At Hot Idle After Accelerating

Potential Tuner

Dying At Hot Idle After Accelerating

Hey Guys,

Wondering if anyone could provide any insight here. I'm a major HPT noob, so this morning I met with a tuner to do some street tuning on my 2005 CTS-V (LS6) drift car. We got the WOT stuff down (great AFRs, felt great) but kept running into the issue of the car dying after any significant amount of throttle and putting it into neutral. Everything was pretty heat-soaked and IATs were around 145, so that was thought to maybe be a contributing factor, but I'm at a loss here. After a pull and put into neutral, cruising up to a stop sign and putting into neutral, or even just sitting still and revving it, when the idle drops it wants to kill the car. Occasionally it would catch and be okay, but less often than not.

*Tune file that we called it quits on is attached*ctsv - work tune 2.hpt

Car has:

LS2 Injectors
    Summit Racing Stage 4 PRO-LS Cam (37/246 113+3, .625/.605 Lift) w/ supporting valvetrain mods
    25% Undedrive Summit Racing Harmonic Damper

Thanks in advance for any help.

Potential Tuner
    Decell Die.hplCruise home.hplsitting still, revving and idle drop.hpl

Here are a few log files to highlight the issues.

Senior Tuner
    If you met with a tuner why isn't your tuner addressing this?

Potential Tuner
    because the tuner threw in the towel on it, it stumped him. so I didn't pay for a tune, but was left with a car that did great WOT things, but terrible idle things.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by mgdefusco View Post
    Decell Die.hplCruise home.hplsitting still, revving and idle drop.hpl

Here are a few log files to highlight the issues.
    It appears that the VSS isn't working. It would be a very easy fix if you fix that issue.

Potential Tuner
    Yessir, I'm going to hop on Rock Auto tonight and order a new one. Not sure why it stopped working, but I was thinking the same thing today. While poking around HPT, I noticed some of those idle parameters related to my issue use a speed reference

Potential Tuner
    I replaced the VSS and took another log.

The situations are as follows and in the file names:

15mph into natural and the car dying.
    25 mph in 3rd, neutral, and the car tried to die, saved it with the throttle
    Idle, rev to 3000, and try to idle dip

TIA15mph to neutral die.hpl25 mph, 3rd to neutral and try to die. save with throtle.hplIdling, rev to 3k and idle dip.hplctsv - work tune 6.hpt