Thread: Stumble between shifts

Tuner in Training

Stumble between shifts

Can somebody take a look at my tune file and the log I did and help me with this stumble im experiencing. Its when the car shifts from 1-2 and 2-3, but only when I give it a little gas.. when im light on the throttle it doesnt do it. I cant wrap my head around it. Ill list my car and mods when somebody responds.. Thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    Anybody? I?ll compensate somebody for their time

Senior Tuner
    2017 Charger SXT.

Play around with Trans Torque Management.

Why is your tune so weird? VE has been modified for a short-runner worse flowing intake, but NN still enabled? Fuel injectors are tuned for smaller injectors (PW has been increased for the same mass of fuel)? Throttle body has been tuned to be smaller (less airmass vs voltage)?

The only thing that makes sense is the MAP sensor values. Looks like for forced induction. The cams are being phased the opposite of what you'd want for that - you've put in more overlap. Even if not FI you need to retrain the NN for your cam changes.

Tuner in Training
    It is a 2017 Charger SXT.. and it is FI, I have the RIPP kit installed which uses the Vortech V3 unit .. however I didn?t tune the car, the shop that installed my supercharger kit did a custom dyno tune on it. I?m not a tuner so I?m not sure what to do.

Senior Tuner
    The low VE is compensated by the injectors values. Should have VE well over 100s and the injectors flowing more per pulsewidth.

Aside from all the goofiness it works I assume. It looks like they forgot to turn off the Neural Network. That should be disabled in this case I think. Try that out. The trans reduces torque at shifts, but the amount of torque can't be accurately calculated if the NN is calculating airflow incorrectly. NN is still stock.

Or just take it back to them to address your shifting issue. Dyno tuners usually correct mistakes or oversights for free. They went into the trans and changed a bunch of things.
    Last edited by SiriusC1024; 11-17-2022 at 11:59 AM.

Tuner in Training
    Wow ok.. I?ve been driving around like this for over 2 years unfortunately. I?ll try disabling NN and see if that helps .. thanks for the help

Tuner in Training
    I?m assuming the NN being enabled this whole time has made the back of my car all black with soot? My exhaust tips are all black and I have all unburnt fuel on the back of my car it?s filthy

Senior Tuner
    I noticed in the log that it was running rich. NN should be off assuming they configured VE and fuel correctly. Looks like they changed it, but can't say how accurate it is.

Could also have to do with a portion of the air/fuel charge being sent through the exhaust due to the fact that they increased cam overlap.

Try NN off first. Log it and keep a close eye on your fuel trims.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by SiriusC1024 View Post
    I noticed in the log that it was running rich.
    Where about did you see that in the log? Unless im totally blind, the log only shows the commanded EQ and there is no wideband channel being logged at all..

Rmiller:
    Have you got a wideband O2 sensor on this thing?

The tune is quite bizarre. It goes into OL at only 0.3992V pedal voltage, which means you are virtually running in OL almost all the time, even out of boost.
    This means that you have no O2 feedback to trim the fueling even possibly while just cruising around out of boost. Unless that's been done to bandaid another issue, its just an unnecessary waste of fuel.
    If you dont have a wideband connected up then we can only guess as to what the fueling is actually doing. IF the car is all black with soot then its been running horribly rich and the current tune is beyond woeful.

The VE tables have been played with but the NN is still enabled. DO NOT disable the NN because the VE tables have not been scaled for boost (very risky move). Who knows what the VE tables have been tuned for.

Definitely seems like you would gain a heap of driveability, fuel economy and power with a proper tune in it.

Senior Tuner
    You can turn off NN and tune the VE if you know what you're doing. Flooring it with NN off and having incorrect fueling can destroy your motor. If you turn it off, log, and go easy, you will at least be able to verify if the dyno tune is accurate and they just forgot the NN enabled part.

I didn't even notice the PE pedal voltage being so low. So much in that tune seems off lol.

Those chuckleheads at Toon Time Performance did you dirty.

If turning NN off and adjusting WOT doesn't help, or you don't feel comfortable doing it, get it dyno tuned somewhere else. Or get a Diablo tune.
    Last edited by SiriusC1024; 11-18-2022 at 02:30 AM.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by HaasExp View Post
    Where about did you see that in the log? Unless im totally blind, the log only shows the commanded EQ and there is no wideband channel being logged at all..
    Commanded EQ is rich, and the narrowbands are showing rich condition.

Tuner in Training
    I have digital boost and AFR gauges but I don?t have the OBD2 version of the AFR gauge so I can?t connect it to VCM scanner. I know nothing about tuning so I don?t want to go around making changes to the tune and blowing the motor. Hard part is there aren?t many shops around me that tune these RIPP kits, I?ll have to try and find another place to get a proper tune

Advanced Tuner
    Commanded EQ is rich, and the narrowbands are showing rich condition.
    The narrowbands will always show a "rich" condition if the lambda drops below 1.0. By how much we wont know because of their sharp transfer characteristic around lambda 1.0.
    It could actually be 0.98 or 0.78 for that matter as you will get a similar output from them. Trying to tune a boosted vehicle in OL just by NBO2 sensor feedback is a recipe for disaster.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Rmiller View Post
    I have digital boost and AFR gauges but I don?t have the OBD2 version of the AFR gauge so I can?t connect it to VCM scanner.
    Its a real bummer that you dont have a WB to log with in the scanner. This rules out remote tuning as well as a lot of diagnostic work as you just dont have the feedback in the logs.
    It even makes it very tricky to tune on the dyno because you cannot revise the runs and link the WB readings to the particular load/rpm cells in the tune.

I would suggest upgrading to the AEM OBD2 wideband. I will just make life a lot easier for the tuner(s) and open you up for the possibilities of remote tuning if you are not happy with the work done in your area.

Advanced Tuner
    If you turn it off, log, and go easy, you will at least be able to verify if the dyno tune is accurate and they just forgot the NN enabled part.
    I very much doubt that they forgot to turn the NN off because, as previously stated, the VE tables are not scaled for boost. The pressure ratio only go upto 1.0 eg atmosphere.
    There has been some attempt at rescaling the timing tables but they look strange also.

I can agree that overall its a mess.

Tuner
    Hello Rmiller,

Based on your log file, you might be facing potential issues with (transmission side):
    - Shift schedule
    - torque management
    - shift pressure

In case you need support tuning your transmission, let me know (email:[email protected])

Thanks.
    Dodge Boy

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAl...jzHdK8B9m1Z2lQ

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by HaasExp View Post
    I very much doubt that they forgot to turn the NN off because, as previously stated, the VE tables are not scaled for boost. The pressure ratio only go upto 1.0 eg atmosphere.
    There has been some attempt at rescaling the timing tables but they look strange also.

I can agree that overall its a mess.
    Yes, but it looks like the output of the fuel injectors has been decreased despite being larger injectors. It's a trick they are using so that the VE works of real world conditions. That VE table is shaped for boost. It's nothing like NA.

And yes you can tell it's running rich based off narrowbands. Just can't tell how rich.