Thread: Can?t detect protocol e38/t42 swap

Potential Tuner

Can?t detect protocol e38/t42 swap

Wiring my motor swap project up and plugged In my HP tuner and got ?can?t detect protocol.

Obd2 port has power and ground.
    Pins 6 and 14 have 120ohms resistance (high/low can bus wires)

Stand alone swap. Can bus wires run from the Ecm to the tcm and I took 37/38 (from tcm)and connected to the obd2 port. 2007 e38/t42

Tried a autel to just to verify no problems with the HP tuner.

What am I doing wrong? Leaning towards wiring issue but double checking everything and it seems to be good.

Potential Tuner
    Update. After spending several hours on this checked incoming power and grounds to all pins on the ECM itself and found the ECM was not grounded??..

Everything else seems to be working and connected into HP tuners

There should be two 120 ohm resistors in the CAN lines - one internal in the ECM, one in the harness just behind the DLC. Measuring from 6 to 14 should show 60 ohms, not 120. A factory diagram won't show the one at the DLC, as the stock harness has it somewhere else. But once you go chopping out the BCM/TCCM/EBCM and all the rest, that eliminates the original 2nd terminating resistor. You have to put one back in to replace the one you lost.

Potential Tuner
    I?ll order some 120 ohm resistors and go ahead and do that, but at least it?s working