Thread: Cold start problem

Tuner

Cold start problem

Every since I've removed the MAF and tuned it SD, I have had a terrible cold start problem. I've gone as far as zeroing all the cold start tables I can find and its made zero change. For about 30 seconds to a minute, I have to hold the throttle open around 15% and it misses and pukes black fuel smoke. After that time period the motor smooths out and runs great. What do I need to do? I attached my current tune. Thanks!
    1998 Pontiac Firebird
    NA 3.8L V-6
    [email protected], 1.65 60'
    7.91@85 1/8th
    Abbott Racing Heads and Engines

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    mind posting your stock tune as well so we can see the changes you've made?
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner
    I don't have a stock tune anymore. There should be one in the repository though. Mine is a 98 and a 5 speed.
    1998 Pontiac Firebird
    NA 3.8L V-6
    7.91@85 1/8th

Tuner in Training
    The Startup AFR Correction tables need to be corrected, the graphs at cold temps are set to zero and the computer is not making any AFR changes in cold weather

Quote Originally Posted by WickEdSix98
    Every since I've removed the MAF and tuned it SD, I have had a terrible cold start problem. I've gone as far as zeroing all the cold start tables I can find and its made zero change. For about 30 seconds to a minute, I have to hold the throttle open around 15% and it misses and pukes black fuel smoke. After that time period the motor smooths out and runs great. What do I need to do? I attached my current tune. Thanks!
    I was told by Hp Tuners a long time ago not to tune the V6 cars in SD. There are a lot of differences in the fueling on these vehicles. When I tune a V6 car, I always leave the VE table stock and tune the MAf to get the actual AFR to match the commanded AFR. I've never had to mess with any cold start fuel tables. Sounds like your way too rich. Is your car in closed loop?

Read this: http://hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8815

Russ Kemp

Tuner
    When I start the car, it is in closed loop. When its warm I have the VE table roughly tuned to 14.7 cruising, and WOT is at 12.7-12.8. It runs damn good at the track. However the only problems I have is the cold start issue, and inconsistency of the tune(which is expected with weather change).

BTW, the car doesn't even have a MAF on it right now.
    Last edited by WickEdSix98; 01-30-2007 at 04:18 PM.
    1998 Pontiac Firebird
    NA 3.8L V-6
    7.91@85 1/8th

Tuner
    I went through my tune last night and changed all the cold start tables back to stock plus set the cold loop enable temp to 104* like stock. Hopefully it will work this time.
    1998 Pontiac Firebird
    NA 3.8L V-6
    7.91@85 1/8th