Thread: LS2 Idle Tuning - Any new tips/tricks?

LS2 Idle Tuning - Any new tips/tricks?

I've done some searching and even more experimenting and the best I can do with my heads and cam is get the idle to around 1100RPMS. On Coastdown it hovers more around 1250-1300.

I have my Desired Idle at 1000 currently, but have found setting it lower doesn't really change anything. The only thing I've been able to do to get the idle lower is to lower timing, but that causes other problems (Bucking mostly, at low RPMs where there are big transitions between cells). I tried working with Overspeed and Underspeed parameters, but that mostly just caused it to fluctuate constantly between 900-1300 RPM

I'm not confident enough to just start messing with Base Running Airflow and need some help figuring out the best way to get the Idle RPM down into the 850-900 range.

I've attached my current tune if anyone cares to take a look and make some suggestions.

Other than Idle this is a pretty decent tune for drivability and for WOT. Still have some work to do in the VE area, but I'm working myself up to it.

Edit: Considering how much searching and reading I do here, its hard to believe this is my first post. LOL

I hear ya. LS2 idle tuning is not as easy as LS1/6. I don't understand the RAF table now that it is not just one row. The only thing you seem to be able to do is play with the timing. What I don't quite understand is whether the PCM looks at the base timing or idle timing tables when idling. If it looks at the idle table then why have the cells in the base timing table?

I would like to play with the timing more but adding timing is greyed out in the VCM controls so the way to do it is to bump the base and/or idle timing up to ~40 and use VCM controls to lower it one degree at a time to see where the ETC is the lowest. This should be the most efficient idle timing.

Then there is the underspeed and overspeed but I'm not sure what to do with thos.
    Bill Winters

Former owner/builder/tuner of the FarmVette
    Out of the LSx tuning game

Right - Looks like I may just have to learn a new trick or two.

Here is one of the results from the searches I've done....check out post #4 by [email protected] me a little leary of messing with idle airflow.

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...light=ls2+idle

I really don't have any "problems" with my idle. It lopes but doesn't hunt or ocilate. I think my cam is pretty big and I am able to idle at 800 but it lopes a lot more than at say 875. If I had to idle at ~1100 that would be more annoying.

Only "issue" I have is when I push in the clutch when my RPM's are low, like when cruising in a parking lot, the RPMs go up to ~1500 and gradually come back down.
    Bill Winters

Former owner/builder/tuner of the FarmVette
    Out of the LSx tuning game

Looks like the new version may have a few more parameters for me to look into.

Along with some STIT and LTIT stuff....guess I'll be learning some new stuff this week

Tuner
    I just did an 05 GTO and the tips here slammed it right home

Look up EC's tips
    Ellis
    Speed Secrets

95 Z28 18* LTx
    95 Z28 LSx converion
    03 CCSB 4x4 D/A