Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: L31 swap Astro tune issues

Tuner in Training

L31 swap Astro tune issues

Good day all sorry if this is in the wrong area and I know I?m 10 years behind on this.

I have an L31 swapped in my 02 Astro. It?s from an o2 express so should be easy peasy. But it has been farm from it.

Anything I tried on the v6 0411 pcm would not have inj 7 pulse.

I then got a brand new o411 and had my local dealer flash it to a vin that was exact motor trans that I?m running.

Get vats synced. (I wanted to have it still)

Fires up runs great. On all 8!!

Get my tuner to do some updates
    -remove egr
    -remove post cat system
    - trans update to get my prndl working.

Install tune and bammmm no inj 7 pulse.

Once this happens I can never get it back unless I unplug the cam sensor in the distributor (runs on 8 again)

I got dealer to reflash pcm and all is good again until I tried to tune. Then number 7 inj shuts off

I?m lost. Anyone have any ideas why I would lose one cyl injector pulse?

And why would it return if I unplug the cam sensor?

Please help

Senior Tuner
    Are you "writing calibration" on "writing all"

Senior Tuner
    And post both tunes.

Tuner in Training
    I have tried both ways with no difference. I will post tunes this evening

Tuner in Training

Advanced Tuner
    Only thing I can think of is somehow you have corrupted the file your are trying to flash into it.

Advanced Tuner
    On a side note are you using the V8 maf or the V6 one? The V6 one is 1/2" smaller than the V8 one and has a different frequency table. Probably un related to the cylinder 7 injector pulse but the PCM can cut cylinders for torque management. Using the smaller MAF on the V8 maf table will cause the predicted delivered torque values to be higher.

Tuner in Training
    My feelings are that as well.
    On the maf note. I’m using 3.5” tubing with a newer v8 card style.

I’m currently just trying to get a good running fully functioning base line. Will definitely need to play with curves and so on after she is drivable.

Going to go back to the dealer and get pcm flashed to stock v8 van again and start over.

Any recommendations for solid tuners I can deal with online to send my files to?

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by VANIMAL View Post
    My feelings are that as well.
    On the maf note. I?m using 3.5? tubing with a newer v8 card style.

I?m currently just trying to get a good running fully functioning base line. Will definitely need to play with curves and so on after she is drivable.

Going to go back to the dealer and get pcm flashed to stock v8 van again and start over.

Any recommendations for solid tuners I can deal with online to send my files to?
    There are several of us on this message board that tune for a living and will be glad to help.
    I ran across this issue once before. As I recall, it was a distributor problem. Are you using the original L31 distributor?

Tuner in Training
    This is definitely a tune issue. I have plenty of known good parts and have swapped everything and triple checked wiring to make sure I’m not the issue. With the factory fresh computer I was good.

Senior Tuner
    That's very odd. Both files still show a V6 application and the firing order is different than a stock Express van file.

Tuner in Training
    I seen that, I adjusted that with no change in results.

I’m going to take the computer back and do a total reset back to where it’s running proper as an express van. Then I will need to enlist one of you guys I’m thinking.

If someone is experienced in this area can you pm me your info so we can touch base via text or phone call

Tuner in Training
    As a note the virgin file is pulled right from the factory fresh expressing programming.

Sure would be nice if tis2web still worked. Anybody know what's up with that? Or a workaround? Alternate sources? Anything?

Tuner in Training
    It does still work. Just cost more as you have to pay per vin number now instead of buying access for a time period

Advanced Tuner
    Why not pull a factory file from the Repository and flash that. Probably cheaper than having a dealer reprogram it. I have several L31 350 0411 files for that matter. VATS relink is also simple. Just a matter of leaving the ignition key on for a certain length of time, no special equipment needed.

Are you sure it is an actual V6 file and not just reading the V6 VIN programmed into the thing.
    Last edited by Fast4.7; 02-18-2023 at 01:20 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    This should be a stock pull for a 2002 Express 5.7L/4L60E.

EDIT-Actually just noticed this was saved with the gearing/tire sizes recalculated for another application.

Let me see if I can find a 100% stock pull.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Fast4.7; 02-18-2023 at 01:34 PM.

Tuner in Training
    The virgin file was from a fresh ecm loaded at the dealer. Luckily I can walk in the back door. So no charge other then a case of beer l!

I would have to pay for 2 credits to use that file right?

Also the issue with the stock express file is my cluster and prndl don’t work correct

Tuner in Training
    Sorry fresh 02 express 5.7 4l60e

I programmed my own vin in it with hp. That’s why vin is v6

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by VANIMAL View Post
    The virgin file was from a fresh ecm loaded at the dealer. Luckily I can walk in the back door. So no charge other then a case of beer l!

I would have to pay for 2 credits to use that file right?

Also the issue with the stock express file is my cluster and prndl don?t work correct
    You would have to buy credits to flash a different file.

What part of your cluster is not working? I did not know that 96-02 used anything through serial data to run the cluster. My 97 Express the PRNDL is hard wired to the PRNDL switch on the side of the transmission. All the gauges are hard wired to sensors as well minus the Speedo which does get its signal from the PCM. 98+ the fuel level wiring was wired through the PCM. I had to swap the fuel level calibration from my 99 Tahoe into the 0411 that ran the 8.1.

Have you tried segment swapping your Astro Speedo and System Calibration segments into the Express van tune to get your cluster working?

Post your stock 4.3L file.