Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: the great IAT debate...

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by kingtal0n View Post
    You never measured the pressure drop behind the K&N So there is no way you can tell, you are just lying. As they get dirty the pressure drop changes so you would need to measure it new AND used.

The drop only occurs at WOT, and you have not measured how many hours of the engine's life spent at WOT per oil change so there is no way to correlate your experience with data regarding pressure drop.

300k spotless internals on a small block chevy - that I would have to see to believe. 300,000 miles on a stock small block Chevrolet with spotless internals? I don't think anybody will believe that.

You fail to think like a scientist and you failed to present any meaningful mathematics or data. Just talk. I have provided equations, collaborations, and published research as evidence and you have provided nothing.

If you disagree, then you are also at disagreement with every OEM manufacturer in the world because they all do PCV the same way. I have created nothing new I am only establishing the guidelines for OEM pcv.

I have a doctorate in the field of mechanical engineering and stand behind my research, assertations and mathematics.

I haven't tuned many engines in the past 5 years- perhaps 5 engines, one per year. My fee is extremely steep to tune a vehicle and set it up properly.
    The reason I have not tuned many vehicles is because two things. First, its just a hobby for me. I don't really care much about cars or racing on the solid ground. I just want something fun to drive to the lab.

Second, I am busy developing a model for cancer and ways to find treatments for cancer. Cancer is far more complex than a car engine, it is easy for me to see how a car engine works. I intuitively understand every engineering concept about car engines because they are so mundane compared to almost any other machine humans depend on for heavy moving. Aircraft and Space ships for example- now there is a challenge. A car engine is like a childs toy. I am sorry if you do not understand that.
    I think it is funny that you assume that I have never measured pressure drop at WOT. What do you think MAP reading is compared to Barometric pressure. You do realize that as soon as a filter starts getting a measureable pressure drop it is time to replace or clean it to obtain maximum power and mileage, right. K&Ns drop in filters typically well outflow the vehicle demands at WOT. Furthermore you also realize that oil will get pulled past the rings almost all the time in a running engine. The vacuum created at low throttle angles will ALWAYS be stronger than the miniscule vacuum on the crankcase, which means your carboned up rings and piston tops are not from a PCV design flaw.

That is also a point you are failing to grasp, how many hours does the average street car run sustained WOT, I can tell you it is a very low % of the actual hours, so your point of wanting to have vacuum on the air intake tract at WOT for better PCV is practically a mute point anyway.

I have seen plenty of virtually spotless SBCs with far more than 300K on them. I have been into a L31 with 880K that was nearly new looking internally. I also rebuilt a L30 that had 350K on it a few years ago. No sludge at all, almost zero carbon buildup and it had virtually no cylinder wall wear. I put it back together with the stock crank, rods, pistons, and merely polished the crank and deglazed the cylinder walls. Little 350K mile 305 made 280 hp at the tires with a flat tappet cam.
    Last edited by Fast4.7; 04-23-2023 at 11:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by smokeshow View Post
    Yet another claim that requires proof...
    you always ask me for proof. I have an entire build thread and many videos and yet you people are 'blind' and pretend like I've never built a vehicle.

I have so much proof I could fill this page with cars.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ge-budget.html

I'm not giving out his email or personal info nor mine but you can see he is laughing at you guys right now
    greg.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Fast4.7 View Post
    I think it is funny that you assume that I have never measured pressure drop at WOT. What do you think MAP reading is compared to Barometric pressure. You do realize tha as soon as a filter starts getting a measureable pressure drop it is time to replace or clean it to obtain maximum power and mileage, right. K&Ns drop in filters typically well outflow the vehicle demands at WOT.

That is also a point you are failing to grasp, how many hours does the average street car run sustained WOT, I can tell you it is a very low % of the actual hours, so your point of wanting to have vacuum on the air intake tract at WOT for better PCV is practically a mute point anyway.

I have seen plenty of virtually spotless SBCs with far more than 300K on them. I have been into a L31 with 880K that was nearly new looking internally. I also rebuilt a L30 that had 350K on it a few years ago. No sludge at all, almost zero carbon buildup and it had virtually no cylinder wall wear. I put it back together with the stock crank, rods, pistons, and merely polished the crank and deglazed the cylinder walls. Little 350K mile 305 made 280 hp at the tires with a flat tappet cam.
    I don't know man sounds like around here people ask for proof. So where is it

Honestly I don't care but at this point its a doctor and several engineers and the entire OEM manufacturer worldly population against like maybe 10 forum users without the proper education

And one by one they go poof, do what you want, I'm not asking for any help here. I don't need anything. You can take it or leave it, what I bring, at your own risk.

I made a website called skylineking.com
    People came from all over the country to get these cars

Back then I didn't know about the breathers and catch cans. This is almost 20 years ago some of it. Those engines would gradually start to smoke because no PCV just a breather. Smoke and dirty oil.

Rapid oil changes help. But I was into daily drivers 3,000 miles per oil change. Hard to keep oil clean with a breather in forced induction applications

Advanced Tuner
    you always ask me for proof. I have an entire build thread and many videos and yet you people are 'blind' and pretend like I've never built a vehicle.

I have so much proof I could fill this page with cars.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ge-budget.html

I'm not giving out his email or personal info nor mine but you can see he is laughing at you guys right now
    greg.jpg
    No one here gives a flying fuck about your hack jobs. I promise you that. That trash is not proof. Your alleged doctorates in engineering or whatever the hell you claim to be...that is what requires proof. I'll give you a solid 50%. That's your success rate when plastering numerous forums with walls of text. But the rest is nonsensical garbage that makes us all think you're meth head on a bender. And the capstone on it all is your persistent refusal to consider that you might not have the universe figured out. It literally pollutes this forum and the world; luck be with whomever is on the receiving end of your cancer research. A person who can't be told they're wrong is a fucking dangerous person in the medical field. Have you seen my signature? It ought to serve as a constant reminder that your arrogance borders on insanity...

Since we're measuring dicks now, here's a snip of the infamous eficalibrator from a meeting at FCA when we...that's right...worked together. Your emails are adorable, but at the end of the day, while you're wiring in a resistor to your IAT circuit because of a sheer overload of willful ignorance, or perhaps simply because you're a hapless dumbfuck...we're the ones laughing with vehicles that run properly. And based on the amount of people who dress you down regularly and the number of forums that straight up kicked you the fuck out...we're not alone. Everyone is laughing at you - again, that I can promise you. So do Greg a favor and slide out of his DMs and out of his asshole, because he doesn't want you there. None of us do.

Screenshot_20230423-214618.jpg

Senior Tuner
    So, um, maybe Greg Banish can provide a solution to heat-soak AFR? We don't seem to be able to do that.

Senior Tuner
    Here's something interesting:

"While a consistent drop of 65 horsepower was witnessed every time the BTR team converted the engine from direct injection to port injection, the airflow end of the equation provided the proverbial proof in the pudding. A seven-percent drop in airflow due to atomized fuel displacement may sound like small potatoes, but that's a massive difference when an engine produces over 700 horsepower."

https://www.lsxmag.com/tech-stories/...-clear-winner/

Another variable to factor in. Hotter ports = more fuel evaporation = less than expected air charge.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by SiriusC1024 View Post
    So, um, maybe Greg Banish can provide a solution to heat-soak AFR? We don't seem to be able to do that.
    GM already did, it is called a hybrid MAF/MAP based fueling setup with an 02 feedback loop. Most of the truck engines I have messed with have Short Term fuel trims active almost immediately after startup.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by SiriusC1024 View Post
    I've only gone through it like a dozen times here, not to mention the contributions from redhardsupra 20 years ago which also explain it in near painful detail. If you're looking for a step by step procedure to fix it, you'll be disappointed with what HP tooners has to offer, test data collection difficulty notwithstanding... I could probably show Cringer how to post process the data and incorporate with his tool...but a better option is probably deleting my account on this forum and not wasting my time anymore.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast4.7 View Post
    GM already did, it is called a hybrid MAF/MAP based fueling setup with an 02 feedback loop. Most of the truck engines I have messed with have Short Term fuel trims active almost immediately after startup.
    Well yeah, but that doesn't help the SD guys.

I've only gone through it like a dozen times here, not to mention the contributions from redhardsupra 20 years ago which also explain it in near painful detail. If you're looking for a step by step procedure to fix it, you'll be disappointed with what HP tooners has to offer, test data collection difficulty notwithstanding... I could probably show Cringer how to post process the data and incorporate with his tool...but a better option is probably deleting my account on this forum and not wasting my time anymore.
    If it's a question people keep asking, and you have the answer, then it should be stickied.

Advanced Tuner
    Smokeshow,
    NOOoo. Take a break maybe to regroup. If you let someone get under your skin and leave they win.

Life is full of obstacles. Each and every one of us faces some type of adversity during our short time on this earth. It is not a matter of if something will be thrown our way, but when. The true personal test comes in the form of our response. How we handle our challenges will reveal our actual character. quoted Adam Ulbricht.

No one here gives a flying fuck about your hack jobs. I promise you that. That trash is not proof. Your alleged doctorates in engineering or whatever the hell you claim to be...that is what requires proof. I'll give you a solid 50%. That's your success rate when plastering numerous forums with walls of text. But the rest is nonsensical garbage that makes us all think you're meth head on a bender. And the capstone on it all is your persistent refusal to consider that you might not have the universe figured out. It literally pollutes this forum and the world; luck be with whomever is on the receiving end of your cancer research. A person who can't be told they're wrong is a fucking dangerous person in the medical field. Have you seen my signature? It ought to serve as a constant reminder that your arrogance borders on insanity...

Since we're measuring dicks now, here's a snip of the infamous eficalibrator from a meeting at FCA when we...that's right...worked together. Your emails are adorable, but at the end of the day, while you're wiring in a resistor to your IAT circuit because of a sheer overload of willful ignorance, or perhaps simply because you're a hapless dumbfuck...we're the ones laughing with vehicles that run properly. And based on the amount of people who dress you down regularly and the number of forums that straight up kicked you the fuck out...we're not alone. Everyone is laughing at you - again, that I can promise you. So do Greg a favor and slide out of his DMs and out of his asshole, because he doesn't want you there. None of us do.

Screenshot_20230423-214618.jpg
    None of this makes any sense to me. Its like what you wish was true. Your own private perverted worldview.

0. I love being wrong. My life revolves around being wrong. I am constantly with the hope of being wrong. You must, to be a scientist.
    1. My vehicles runs perfect. Absolutely flawlessly as demonstrated by several videos and dynometer results. Nobody is complaining, just you.
    2. All the vehicles I tuned run flawless after I set them up properly. No issues. I am not looking for answers, I offer answers.
    3. Mathematics from fluid mechanics is pretty clear on boundary and friction in tubes. I only represent the book work, I didn't make it up.
    4. I am not 'kicked out'. 30 forums I post on over 25 years only 1 of them I was banned for saying PCV is necessary to keep engine oil clean. which it is. And still is. yep, still is. PCV = engine cleaning device. Don't care if you don't understand that, luckily I do.
    5. I only bring up Greg for the same reason I bring up GM engineers... because you guys don't believe me maybe you will believe them. Don't believe them also? Nothing will convince you. Not the math. not other engineers or data or whatever. You have a warped obstinate attitude. I feel sorry for you.
    6. I owe nobody any proof of anything. If you don't believe me its on you, just ignore me. Nobody is forcing you to read stuff online, its YOUR decision to login and read these pages. You act like I am forcing you rofl yeah man its mind control I control you. Keep reading.
    I don't work for you. You can yell cuss spit scream- Your wreckless disregard engineering book mathematics and unprofessional behavior tells everything.

In case you haven't realize this yet... I gain nourishment from disbelief and disagreement. I come to forums for that essence of heated discussions which ensue. This is the spice of life, I enjoy it. I only do things that I enjoy, its my life decision. I've never worked a day in my life and I've never had a boss or restrictions of the mind or physical limitations. Its my job to bring individuals outside the box, open the mind, become better diagnosticians. I'm sorry you are one of the worst diagnosticians I have ever met and lack fundamental undergrad mathematics concepts and refuse to adjust or admit your own ineptitude. A paper degree doesn't make you an engineer, sorry.

A middle school student can write code. In 2003 I wrote auto tuning software for stand-alone before widebands are affordable at hobby level.
    https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/dfi-...der-950-a.html

My first Twin turbo V8 in 2004 almost 20 years ago running my code so I can drive while it tunes the engine for me.
    Does that make me an engineer? Or as accomplished at the age of 15? Or a prodigy? Accomplishments are pale when children can do it, huh

All that anger and cussing is all the 'proof' we need to see the unbalance in effect. You think you are on a mountain of some kind, YOU are the one who doesn't believe they can be wrong. I am always wrong, I've seen to that. If you say I'm wrong, thats how I know I am right. Didn't you learn that yet?

All this time it isn't me I am worried about, its you.
    100-4303-zpsew46iqiy.jpg

Senior Tuner
    So far no answer to OP's question. Just a lot of posturing and ego...yet still wrong? Self-awareness.

https://youtu.be/-kXBowUtnjg?t=373

I just watched Jay Lenos garage on the new 170 hellcat and the guy from dodge literally stated they trick the car to think it’s 70 degrees to maxmize the car’s performance. I wish he had gotten into more detail on that and how the huge temp swings swings would not hurt the engine. Someone even mentioned it on the YouTube comment section.

Advanced Tuner
    None of this makes any sense to me. Its like what you wish was true. Your own private perverted worldview.

0. I love being wrong.
    6. I owe nobody any proof of anything. If you don't believe me its on you, just ignore me.
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/ken-farrell-234495110
    Hello,
    Kenneth W. Farrell

1997 - Started a small EFI company tuning and converting Stack style Hillborn mechanical injection to electronic EFI for the local hot rod crowd. I was then contacted by Mooneyes of Santa Fe Springs, Ca and partnered with Moon and moved shop to southern CA .
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/ken-farrell-234495110 in case you missed the link.