Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: northstar software

Tuner in Training
    is there any word on if this might happen

I've been looking for a chip for my 1997 ETC for years

Apparently the earlier computers that were OBD I compliant (before the 1996 model year) had a PCM that had a EEPROM which could be switched out easily. In the 1996 and later OBD II compliant GM cars, there isn't a single, well-defined chip that GM defines and specifies which can be changed or reprogrammed. That doesn't mean that the OBD II cars can't be programmed, but it does mean that it's harder than with the OBD I cars.

The newer PCMs consist of chips on a board just like the old ones. The chips consist of standard off-the-shelf chips like Power PC processors, EEPROMs, bi-directional bus drivers, CAN bus UARTs, switch driver interfaces, ADCs, etc. just like the old PCMs and other electronics boards. I haven't opened up one of the PCMs and looked, but it is likely surface-mount chips that are wave-soldered because that packaging offers better reliability, easier cooling, smaller size, and lower cost than the older packaging types, and there may be no single EEPROM that can be identified and substituted as a performance chip. If so, that would mean that more than one chip would need to be changed on the board, and that the change would have to deal with wave-soldered boards.

Just changing the PCM to an aftermarket module is the solution of some performance aftermarket vendors. It's simple enough to operate the ignition and fuel injection from the sensor data. Missing functions may include operating the transmission, which doesn't have the hydraulically operated shifting mechanisms of the THM transmissions and must have a module to function. Also, the PCM is networked with the other modules through a CAN bus, and OBD II regulations require that specific emissions-related functions be tested and that DTCs be reported through the OBD II interface under the dashboard, and that some of them operate a "service engine soon" light. Supporting these functions means that an aftermarket module operate the 4T80E transmission, perform the OBD II tests and support the DTCs, and support the GM CAN bus linking of the modules so that the DTCs can be provided to the IPM. That can be difficult without GM cooperation, which may not be forthcoming for reasons that aren't too hard to understand. These reasons include, but are not limited to, the following:
    * Telling the world how to build a networked OBD II compliant PCM is quite low on the GM priority list these days.
    * Providing active, documented support to people who haven't signed up to follow OBD II and EPA regulations probably isn't something that Legal would approve.
    * Warranty or even service of vehicles using modules provided by others could be a can of worms. Even though GM-trained technicians can deal with modern cars with amazing effectiveness relative to many European and other vehicle manufacturers, it's not wise to throw unpredictable changes in PCM DTC testing in the mix.
    Last edited by Jims_97_ETC; 01-02-2007 at 04:37 AM.
    Dark Cherry 1997 ETC

Potential Tuner
    I would be interested in tuning my 2006 DTS VIN 9 engine, if thats even possible.

Potential Tuner
    I thought 0BD1 was much easier to hack. Is it not true?

Apparently the earlier computers that were OBD I compliant (before the 1996 model year) had a PCM that had a PROM which could be switched out easily. In the 1996 and later OBD II compliant GM cars, there isn't a single, well-defined chip that GM defines and specifies which can be changed or reprogrammed. That doesn't mean that the OBD II cars can't be programmed, but it does mean that it's harder than with the OBD I cars.
    Dark Cherry 1997 ETC

Tuner in Training
    yup died....

Tuner in Training
    Chris or Keith is their any word on if you are looking at making anything for these cars there isn't anything out there for all of our cars and we need something i have your product for a few diff. year models and would love to have it for my own car

I am game for a 96 N* Deville too.

Tuner in Training

Tuner in Training

Tuner in Training
    todays ...

Tuner in Training
    we would like an answer but if you keep posting ......... and todays they will lock this post and not bother telling us anything

Potential Tuner
    I Want To Program My Pcm On My 1999 Deville!!!!!!! I You Make It, We Will Come(or Buy).

Tuner in Training
    i have had 2 more people ask for this at my shop i wish someone with a new cady would come in so i could at least play with one of them

Tuner
    Any chance of SRX support.

chris

The SRX has the 320 HP Northstar. Does anyone have part numbers and differences between the PCM's for the various Northstar systems? Has anyone taken apart an old or bad PCM and put together a rough block diagram with chip identification?
    Dark Cherry 1997 ETC

Tuner in Training

Another Northstar Request

Ok, here's my 2c. Please add in Nortstar support.

I already have HP Tuners - currently locked (set?) to my now dead 99 GTP and my 01 Suburban. I now own a 99 Seville SLS and would really appreciate (read as pay) for support.

The scanner software will read/clear DTC's and scan the sensors (dashboard stuff) - I'm skeptical about trying any of the real time stuff. I obviously can't read/write with the editor.

Mike

Tuner in Training
    and still nothing...

Tuner in Training
    great job on getting back to us...
    obviously you cant do it and rather than fess up you ignore it...

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Right now they have other commitments that they've already started & must live up to so you won't see anything this year for the northstar stuff.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"