Thread: College with Dyno, Wants to Integrate Tuning in our Automotive Tech Program

Potential Tuner

College with Dyno, Wants to Integrate Tuning in our Automotive Tech Program

Hello All,

I am an Automotive Technology Instructor at Linn-Benton Community College near Albany Oregon and our program just purchased the MPVI3 and are looking to integrate tuning into our program. We have a Mustang 500AWD dyno that we use for our annual Dyno Days events but is underutilized otherwise. Our student lead RPM club has a donated 2002 Silverado 2500 6.0L that we are going to use as a guinea pig as we learn to tune. We plan to run baseline power curve and 1/4 mile sims next week and then start with incremental upgrades to software and hardware documenting our progress on the dyno along the way. The goal is to hopefully take this truck from 290hp to 600hp over the next couple of years, and if it blows up along the way, we will pull it, built it and swap it into something a bit more sporty.

We are excited to join the HP tuner community and welcome any guidance, advice and feedback you can provide. Also if you are in the Albany/Lebanon Oregon area and want to trade some free time on our dyno for some tuning training please reach out and we can try to set something up. (summers excluded)

Thanks,

Mike L.

That would be pretty fun to show them how very simple changes to the programming can change the power output of the engine.

From different timing pulls from the spark correction tables. Unplugging a knock sensor to show how the calibration pulls power away and changing the commanded fueling under full throttle.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Advanced Tuner
    It would definitely make better Technicians out of the students. I used to get so tired of working with people who just threw parts at stuff just because they had a code "for the sensor" without diag testing or the ones that just didnt understand how an ECT sensor failing could cause an engine to run rough or poorly. JUST SPRAY THE MAF OUT lol I had already moved to a different industry by the time i started tuning but it has given me a whole new view on automotive diagnosis and analysis. I wish we wouldve had that when i was automotive school learning all those years ago. I think its a great idea!