Thread: PLEASE HELP w/converter

Tuner in Training

PLEASE HELP w/converter

im having problems with my converter locking/unlocking. I have tried maxing my misfire table, setting my max and min temp to 141:140 respectively and playing with my TCC apply/release table. Here's the LINK to my thread over in ls1tech which has my log and hpt files.

Tuner in Training
    please

Senior Tuner
    Check the switch at your break peddle in he car. If your switch is worn it can be adjusted a bit and will fix your problem, IMO. Does this happen when on the highway or over a little bump, see where this is going?(I've said that twice today?? )

Tuner in Training
    sorry but im alittle lost??but to answer our question the converter never unlocks once it is locked on the highway. It only happens at about 30-40mph and only for about a 5mph gap and then relocks and stays locked.

could the problem be my part throttle shift not being changed to match my tcc lock/unlock table? if so how can i go about redoing my part throttle shift?

Senior Tuner
    here, if you KNOW the TCC switch is OK(do not confuse the switch with the solenoid)

Apply speed should be 2kph above the shift point
    TCC unlock 2kph higher than the downshift

Max table to 100
    Min table to 90.

There is "fine tuning" to be done from there but its a start for you(you can convert that to mph but you get the idea

Tuner in Training
    i doubt the switch is worn b/c my car only has 23k miles on it....also i think we came to the conclusion on ls1tech that my car is locking in third then unlocking to shift to fourth then relocking in fourth. This is what i thought was happenign the whole time, but i didn't know. So if this is true how do i make it run smooth like the stock converter? it locked in third and didnt have a problem? do i need to get rid of 3rd gear lock altogether?

I would make the changes suggested by MMGT1, then copy the 4th gear lock up speed row to the 3rd gear lock up row. Then copy the 4th gear release row to the 3rd gear release row. This way the TCC won't lock untill 4th gear or if you hold 3rd gear manually, the TCC will lock up at the higher speed. And the TCC will be released when a 4-3 down shift occurs.

Russ Kemp

Tuner in Training
    alright gonna try a few different settings and see how they work out...thanks for the help

also you said 2kph that is only 1.24 mph that sounds too close is that correct?? not trying to correct you it just seems close to me...but then again i asked for your help b/c i didn't know
    Last edited by magnet; 02-14-2007 at 01:18 AM.

Senior Tuner
    To really find out what is happening, log TCC Mode and Current Gear possibly Engine RPM if you want. This will let you know exactly what is happening during shift and TCC actions, and their relationship.

Tuner in Training
    ok well i did what russ k said as well as moved my 3-4 gear shift down alittle and it is working out quite well...it locks and stays locked ans since i moved down my 3-4 shift it happens soon enough for my liking