Thread: PO343 Cam Position Sensor Voltage High.

Potential Tuner

PO343 Cam Position Sensor Voltage High.

Ok, here is the story.
    About a month ago the car tried to toss the crank pulley at the track. I got it 1/2 way back on, and milked it home.
    The car sat for 2 weeks, then I pinned the crank, and installed a new bolt.
    he battery was dead so I jumped the car, and drove it.
    At this point, I got a PO343 code.
    The 2nd gear is also now shot. Keep in mind, I am sure these are unrelated, and just coincidences, however, I wanted to mention everything.
    I have installed a brand new cam position sensor, and the code will still not go away. I am at a loss as to what to do.
    I tried to do a case relearn through HPT, but I am not sure if I am doing it right, or even if it is what needs to be done.
    Anyone have any ideas?

Talking

The CMP sensor 1X signal is used by the PCM to determine if the cylinder at top dead center (TDC) is on the firing stroke or the exhaust stroke. The PCM can determine TDC for all cylinders by using the CKP sensor signal alone. The engine will start without a CMP signal as long as the PCM receives the CKP sensor signal. A slightly longer cranking time may be a symptom of this condition. The system attempts synchronization and looks for an increase in engine speed indicating that the engine started. If the PCM does not detect an increase in engine speed, the PCM assumes that the PCM incorrectly synchronized to the exhaust stroke and re-syncs to the opposite cam position. If the PCM detects that the CMP signal is constantly high, DTC P0343 sets.

The following conditions may cause this DTC to set:
    Camshaft reluctor ring damage
    The sensor coming in contact with the reluctor ring
    Foreign material passing between the sensor and the reluctor ring
    Excessive camshaft end-play
    Wiring routed too close to secondary ignition components

hope it helps

Potential Tuner
    I'm kind of thinking cam walk at this point. I was just hoping it was something more simple.

Quote Originally Posted by BLWNGTO
    I'm kind of thinking cam walk at this point. I was just hoping it was something more simple.
    bad things happen lol

dude that sucks ass, cam walk, 2nd gear is shot AND a dead battery to top it off...*snif snif*...I smell lemons