Thread: Open loop all the time?

Tuner

Open loop all the time?

Would there be any downfalls to running in open loop all the time?
    1998 Pontiac Firebird
    NA 3.8L V-6
    [email protected], 1.65 60'
    7.91@85 1/8th
    Abbott Racing Heads and Engines

In open loop when not in PE, the commanded AFR will be all over the place. This is because the V6 cars don't have an open loop table like the V8 vehicles & V6 trucks. So you need to be in closed loop to command a 14.7 AFR when not in PE.

Russ Kemp

Tuner
    Alright gotcha, just curious.

Do you think I could set PE mode to run all the time, set commanded at 12.8, except use the add vs. tps up to a certain percentage to make it run 14.7 and then when I get to a triggered TPS make it go to the commanded 12.8?

The only reason I'm thinking about this is because of the hell I've had with cold starts. Everything I've tried hasn't done anything but make it worse.
    Last edited by WickEdSix98; 02-13-2007 at 10:35 PM.
    1998 Pontiac Firebird
    NA 3.8L V-6
    [email protected], 1.65 60'
    7.91@85 1/8th
    Abbott Racing Heads and Engines

I can relate to the hard cold start problem and here is what I have found but first I will bring you up to speed on the car.... It is an 86 Olds Cutlass with a 97 F-body 3800 drivetrain, or was, and is now a supercharged L67 engine from a Grand Prix. Regardless the engine, I had two completely bone stock f-body drivetrains, two different pcms and the car would never want to start cold unless I give it just a little throttle, then it would start every time. When I put the supercharged engine in the car I used an LS1 throttle body. The throttle blade had a hole in it so I plugged it since the 3800 throttle body has no hole. Same scenario, hard cold starts and once it would fire it would blow all sorts of black smoke from too much fuel, again it did this with a stock f-body 3800. I tuned and tuned and tuned playing with startup fuels and couldnt ever get a substantial change, so for the heck of it I removed the plug in the throttle body and now it starts 99% of the time on a cold start. I havent played with it much since that and called good enough alone for now as a lack of ambition for the car came over me lol. Here is my thoughts on the problem.. There is no way to adjust iac park position and I feel engines with mods need this value changed to supply adequate airflow to the engine, leaning it out alone doesnt help much if any. I posted in another thread asking about this because it appears possibly the V8 support can adjust this? It would really be nice to change this value and I know of a friend with some beta tuning software that has this option available so I know it exists, just not with HPT that I know of for the 3800 crowd. Any input on if this is something that could be added would be benificial to the entire 3800 crowd and Im sure others as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Trannyman95
    It would really be nice to change this value and I know of a friend with some beta tuning software that has this option available so I know it exists, just not with HPT that I know of for the 3800 crowd. Any input on if this is something that could be added would be benificial to the entire 3800 crowd and Im sure others as well.
    Us cammed 3400's would appreciate it too

Send the detail of what you want added to the tune, and why; maybe to support?. The guys here will add it, fairly quickly (at least they did with my tranny shift pressure request).
    All Motor 2001 GA GT1