Thread: lean and rough idle

Tuner in Training

lean and rough idle

I'm getting the hang of tuning this thing, P59, 2005 CTS-V, LS2 SNS stage3 cam, .020 over bore flat top valve relieved pistons, H beam rods, 60# Deka injectors, sheet metal intake with a 90mm LS2 throttle body. I got the LTFT's down to +2% but my idle is really rough and a tad lean, I tried adding fuel at idle but it just wont idle unless its lean, I'm going to attach a recent log and file if someone could point me in the direction I should go I would greatly appreciate it.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    2005 Cts-V 366 LS2 forged rotating assembly stock stroke, LPE TRG-002, JE Flat Top 4.009 pistons, Tick SNS Stage 3 Cam, LS7 lifters, BTR 7.450 Hardened Pushrods, BTR Dual .660 springs, Harland Sharp 1.7 Rollers, Katech oil pump, C5-R chain, Mantic Single Clutch w/Tick remote bleeder, Hurst short throw, 8.8 Torsen 4:10's, 31 spline DSS, K&N intake, mid rise sheetmetal 90mm TB, 1 7/8 OBX Long Tubes no cats, AEM Wideband, ATI Balancer, 160* Tstat, lowered on BC Coilovers, HP Tuners Pro

Get your idle timing a little smoother and it will want to idle better. Aim for 20ish degrees of timing at idle. Your park/in drive timing settings are weird and the high/low octane has a big difference in number for timing around idle. Also lower the over/underspeed spark correction to 8-10 +/- instead of 20 degrees.

I can't view the log as I'm using older software but it may take some more playing with the idle rpm and base running airflow too.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

You can give this a try if you want but you will probably have to add more base running airflow.

6-17-23 VE 2% lean - 1.hpt
    L99 A6 - DSS FX Forged Piston's, Eagle ESP L19 Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, LS9 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnion Upgrade, TSP Chrome Molly Pushrods, BTR .660 Valve Springs, GM Hollow Intake Valves, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, IR EGM-205 Oil Pan Baffle, CAI Intake, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, ZL1 Pump, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 366LS6v View Post
    I'm getting the hang of tuning this thing, P59, 2005 CTS-V, LS2 SNS stage3 cam, .020 over bore flat top valve relieved pistons, H beam rods, 60# Deka injectors, sheet metal intake with a 90mm LS2 throttle body. I got the LTFT's down to +2% but my idle is really rough and a tad lean, I tried adding fuel at idle but it just wont idle unless its lean, I'm going to attach a recent log and file if someone could point me in the direction I should go I would greatly appreciate it.
    You are in OL. Your WB reading never changes. You may need to Transform the channel again or check the wiring. Something is not right since the NB voltage is showing rich up until the 10 minute or so time stamp then moves around a bit but again the WB does not change. Check fuel in CL with the LTFT+STFT math histogram.

.Are you running a 3BAR MAP?
    Last edited by Hondaeater; 06-24-2023 at 01:03 AM.

Yeah I missed that. But I can't view his log either.
    Last edited by morepowerjoe; 06-24-2023 at 01:03 AM.
    L99 A6 - DSS FX Forged Piston's, Eagle ESP L19 Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, LS9 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnion Upgrade, TSP Chrome Molly Pushrods, BTR .660 Valve Springs, GM Hollow Intake Valves, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, IR EGM-205 Oil Pan Baffle, CAI Intake, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, ZL1 Pump, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by morepowerjoe View Post
    Yeah I missed that. But I can't view his log either.
    Use the Beta version and you can view the newer logs/ tunes without updating to ver 5.xxx

Quote Originally Posted by Hondaeater View Post
    Use the Beta version and you can view the newer logs/ tunes without updating to ver 5.xxx
    Cool. Thanks

Tuner in Training
    yes OL, had STFT off dialing in the LTFT and my wideband in the Scanner wasn't recording any data, but was reading a lil lean at cruise 15's on my gauge. I'm probably going to run this SD. I'll post a log before the STFT's got turned off.

3 BAR MAP is correct as well as the data is correct for the Sensor I'm using.

these logs are using the BETA version
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by 366LS6v; 06-24-2023 at 11:04 AM.
    2005 Cts-V 366 LS2 forged rotating assembly stock stroke, LPE TRG-002, JE Flat Top 4.009 pistons, Tick SNS Stage 3 Cam, LS7 lifters, BTR 7.450 Hardened Pushrods, BTR Dual .660 springs, Harland Sharp 1.7 Rollers, Katech oil pump, C5-R chain, Mantic Single Clutch w/Tick remote bleeder, Hurst short throw, 8.8 Torsen 4:10's, 31 spline DSS, K&N intake, mid rise sheetmetal 90mm TB, 1 7/8 OBX Long Tubes no cats, AEM Wideband, ATI Balancer, 160* Tstat, lowered on BC Coilovers, HP Tuners Pro

Quote Originally Posted by 366LS6v View Post
    yes OL, had STFT off dialing in the LTFT and my wideband in the Scanner wasn't recording any data, but was reading a lil lean at cruise 15's on my gauge. I'm probably going to run this SD. I'll post a log before the STFT's got turned off.

3 BAR MAP is correct as well as the data is correct for the Sensor I'm using.

these logs are using the BETA version
    your wideband is still not recording on the log. how do you have it connected?