Thread: General advice for 2018 Focus ST tuning

General advice for 2018 Focus ST tuning

Hey guys,

Honestly I'm still new to the tuning game but have done a few vehicles at this point, mainly a few Coyote cars including my own. However, I'm going to be attempting to help a friend get a little more pep out of his bone stock 2018 Focus ST. From what I've gathered in research there's not a whole lot to be had on stock parts, but some cam timing adjustments and maybe a touch more boost and timing will benefit the car. Just wondering if anyone has any personal experience with these and can provide any general guidance or issues you've run into.

Thanks!

Tuner
    It should have the same motor I have in my 2014 Ford Fusion. Mine is still stock, including the tune. I recommend switching to a quality fuel (89+ octane or E15) and upgrading the intake air filter, before recording a base log. It's also important to watch the charge tempture and allow plenty of time for cooling between pulls. You should be able to make some minor adjustments to take advantage of the better fuel and airflow. But that's about it, until the owner is able to replace the OEM intercooler, with a better performing, aftermarket intercooler. After that, I recommend, retuning for 91/93 octane gas or E30 ethanol. Most guys like to add a little boost, but it really depends on the motor's heat range and/or charge temperatures, as to how far you want to push the parameters. Just watch for detonation, due to knock or preignition.

Thank you for the input!