Thread: Trying to help a friend who got ripped off.....

Potential Tuner

Question Trying to help a friend who got ripped off.....

Good Afternoon Everyone,

I have a friend that saved up for a while and bought a stage 2 cam, was recommended to a local guy that is supposed to be THE guy for LS Tuning. He paid the guy $250 for the tune, it took the guy about a month to get back to him with a tune file, and the truck runs OK. The truck has terrible low-end, poor throttle response in the low end, and the truck frequently dies out when in-gear and moving slowly....like when he is creeping through a parking lot and goes to make a turn, the truck will stall out on him. I own a transmission shop and use HPtuner all the time to adjust lock-up on 6L80/90 transmissions all the time to prolong the life of the converter/transmission post-rebuild......but I know very little about tuning for a cam. I am hoping and praying that someone on here can take a look at the tune, log file, and cam specs I am attaching and make some edits to the tune that will make the truck run like it should with this cam. The truck is bone stock other than the stage 2 sloppy cam. I am not one to ask for handouts, but I really want to help my friend out and I've seen so many kind and helpful users in this community. I just spent a very large amount of money to add air-conditioning to my transmission shop so my techs and builders don't stroke out in this Florida heat.....otherwise I would just go the MailOrderTune route and cover it for him. I would be willing to CashApp someone $100 to fix this tune for me/my friend, thank you in advance for anyone willing to help!

CAM SPECS:

Intake Lift/Duration: 585 / 283
    Exhaust Lift/Duration: 585 / 286
    LSA: 112
    ICL: 108

**There are 2 values written down on the cam spec sheet that are not next to anything indicating what they are. The guy that did the tune lost the cam spec card and gave my friend back a ratty piece of paper with stuff scribbled on it.**

Those 2 values written next to each other are 228/230

BJ - 2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 - 08_09_2023.hptBJ - 05 SILVERADO STAGE 2 SLOPPY CAM LOG.hpl

If that camshaft is indeed a 228/230, that is big for a stock stall so don't expect a ton down low.

I'm sorry to say but that tune is basically all stock, he paid money for nothing. It just has idle changes and timing changes done to it so it can run. Stock MAF curve, stock VE table, all fueling is still stock. Even the power enrichment is still stock and 95% of the timing curves are still stock.

I can't edit his tune as I don't have the newest software for it but to be honest there is only so much that can be done without data logging with a wideband oxygen sensor in the exhaust. A few guys on here can likely help get the timing stuff better and setup power enrichment but it's going to take a lot of miles behind the wheel with a wideband to make sure fueling is correct when it floors it.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    I greatly appreciate the insight buddy. I reviewed the tune as well and thought it looked stock, but I don't know much at all about the engine side of things. Hopefully someone can do a little something with it, thank you again!