Thread: 04 LS1 GTO idle & tuning?

Advanced Tuner

04 LS1 GTO idle & tuning?

Well, just last week a friend of mine installed 243 heads and 30 lb injectors into his GTO. He's running a 236/244 -.592 .592 @ 114 + 4, a 78mm FAST, Kooks LT's and now the LS6 heads and new injectors.

It looked like his tune was kinda off, so I started messing around with it and adjusted for the injectors with the excel table and mostly worked on the VE Table. I put the car in Speed Density, but left the STFT on. Seems like the STFT are enabled for normal driving, and turn off at WOT. So then I use the AFR % Error to adjust the VE.

He seems to have a problem with his idle surging in the morning or at night, or after the car has been sitting for a while. Most of the idle surging happens when he comes to a stop at a light or stop sign. It looks like it goes completely rich at that point and the AFR starts climbing back up.

I'm not exactly sure what it may be and tried to figure it out by doing a search, but I'm not comfortable changing things I don't have a clue about, as I've only worked on my LS2 GTO before.

Is there anything from the logs or tune that may need changing? I tried logging idle STIT using the RAF Config, but it seems like the Histograms aren't supported. Is the 04 GTO different from some other LS1's? Any help to lead me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files
    2005 Pontiac GTO LS2

MY FQUICK - http://www.fquick.com/cyclone_chris

Mods:
    K&N Intake | 18" Staggered TSW Thruxton Setup | Toyo T1-R Tires | Billet Products Short Shifter | Kooks 1-3/4" LT Catted headers | NGK TR55 | Ported Stock Intake Manifold | Corsa Sport Exhaust | Polished T/B | FlowTech Streetsweeper V2 Cam | SLP UD Pulley | 160 Thermostat | LS7 Clutch | 39# Ford Blue Giant Injectors | Scorpion Roller Rockers |

445 RWHP/413 RWTQ

Advanced Tuner
    Anyone???
    2005 Pontiac GTO LS2

Mods:
    K&N Intake | 18" Staggered TSW Thruxton Setup | Toyo T1-R Tires | Billet Products Short Shifter | Kooks 1-3/4" LT Catted headers | NGK TR55 | Ported Stock Intake Manifold | Corsa Sport Exhaust | Polished T/B | FlowTech Streetsweeper V2 Cam | SLP UD Pulley | 160 Thermostat | LS7 Clutch | 39# Ford Blue Giant Injectors | Scorpion Roller Rockers |

445 RWHP/413 RWTQ

looks like you need to adjust the idle airflow table some more, its off a good bit. You will also need to log idle timing as well for more info.
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6FirebirdTA00
    looks like you need to adjust the idle airflow table some more, its off a good bit. You will also need to log idle timing as well for more info.
    Thanks, so should I add the STIT vs ECT Histogram to the RAF In Gear Table?

I'll do another log on his car tomorrow with idle from a cold start till operating temps.

Thanks again.
    Chris
    2005 Pontiac GTO LS2

Mods:

445 RWHP/413 RWTQ

yes
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB