Thread: Need Help Idle Tuning

Need Help Idle Tuning

First off, I just got HPT yesterday and have very little tuning knoledge, so try to be through in any answers you may have.

Car Specs:
    '01 camaro
    A4, 4000 stall
    233/239 112 +2 cam
    Headers, other bolt ons...

Car was professionally tuned after the cam install (major Houston shop). I took the car back a while later to pull some timing for spray and asked him to work on idle some more. He basically gave up, made no improvements.

The car has always been difficult to start, hot or cold (worse when cold), with occasional stalling after letting off the throttle in parking lots, etc...

Since that time I bought a ported TB w/ the blade drilled out a little bigger (maybe 1/4"). Now the car starts a whole lot better, but it idles higher, and the rpm's hang when coasting to a stop until the car stops moving. Blipping the throttle in neutral will cause the rpms to hang for a few seconds also.
    These problems all seem to go away after driving for about 10 minutes. If I turn the car off and restart, they all come right back.

I'm attaching a couple of log & cfg files. The logs are both at warm start, with a couple blips on the throttle in park, then put the car in D, a couple more blips on the throttle and then back to park.

I am also going to attach my hpt file. I would appreciate it if someone could take a look at it, especially the high octane timing table, it looks a little strange to me, but what do I know?

PS, whoever I stole the cfg files from here, Thank you

TIA,
    Craig
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by BlackSS; 02-28-2007 at 04:02 PM.

Well, I'm making progress. I've knocked the RAF table down about 50%. It stumbles more when it starts, but the surging when coming to a stop is almost gone. IAC counts are still ~ 90 which I know is high, but I'm not sure what to do about it. If I keep taking the RAF down the IAC drops, but it will get harder to start.

First of all, most shops are hardly "professional" tuners. They put something in the car so it runs, doenst mean it has to run well lol Not all shops but most of them (and if this was a shop tune, definately isnt done correctly).

Your tune has WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too much idle airflow. Idle timing looks screwy as well. Park position airflow is too high, and frictional airflow could prob be increased.
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

I kind of suspected the tune wasn't that great, but I've never really been in another large cammed automatic.
    I've lowered the cracker table, and the follower airflow tables 15%, things are getting better, but it's pretty lean at idle. I'll post up some new logs in a day or too.

What would you suggest for idle timing?
    Did you look at the main spark table? There's a few cells in the higher air flow section that don't jive w/ the rest of the curve. I'm kind of leary of messing w/ timing b/c of my inexperience.

put a stock 2000 LS1 spark table in there, it will be better than what you have at least. I didnt even look at it before. I really recommend getting a stock file and starting over on that one to be honest. I can set something up so it will run and only change what is needed if you post your stock file. May take a day or so (I am about to get off the computer for the night).
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

Well, it may take me a few days to get the stock tune from the tuner, but I don't even know if I'll be able to b/c he tuned it w/ edit. I won't be able to open that file will I?
    I guess I could get a dealer to flash it back to stock, but that would not be a fun drive home, lol

Quote Originally Posted by BlackSS
    Well, it may take me a few days to get the stock tune from the tuner, but I don't even know if I'll be able to b/c he tuned it w/ edit. I won't be able to open that file will I?
    I guess I could get a dealer to flash it back to stock, but that would not be a fun drive home, lol
    You can just go to the repository and find a stock tune for your car. Use the compare option to copy the parameters to your tune. Anything that is different from your tune to stock will be a different color. It doesn't matter what software was used to tune your PCM as long as it isn't a custom OS, HP Tuners will still read it. Mine was tuned with LS1 Edit before I bought it and started tuning myself.

http://www.hptuners.com/customers/ Click on "Visit Tune Repository"
    Last edited by 2000C-5; 02-28-2007 at 10:04 PM.
    2005 C-6

Specs:

- '05 Z51 'vette 'vert
    - Z06 ass end
    - MN6
    - forged, stroked to a 404
    - Procharger D1SC @ ~16 psi
    - 235/242 614/624 115 lsa
    - 83# Seimens injectors (with proper Banish info)
    - 2.5 bar OS w/2.5 bar MAP
    - twin walbros
    - Kooks, 3", Corsa
    - Meth

exactly

I understand that I can read the tune from the PCM and edit, that's what I've been doing. I was saying I wouldn't be able to open the stock file the if the tuner e-mailed it to me.

As far as the tune repository, I bought this from a local guy who had supposedly never used it (still had 8 credits), but apparently he is signed up w/ the serial #, so I can't get into the repository. Any idea who I could talk to about that?

Thanks for the help guys. I'e been pretty frustrated w/ the car for a while. It'll be great to get it running like it's supposed to.