Thread: Tuning for dry nitrous?

Potential Tuner

Tuning for dry nitrous?

Well im limited in the boost i can run with my RSM kit, and my engine is beeing COMPLETELy built, eagle rods, wiseco 10:1 pistons, Comp Cams stage 3 grind, mild PP head, Ferrea springs/valves/retainers/seat locaters, Cometic HG, ARP HS, balanced rotating assy.

I want to run about a 150hp shot of nitrous to top it off, but im afraid to spray this much through a wet kit due to fuel puddling. And im not really tryin to do a direct injection yet.

So, would i be able to make a seperate tune to accomodate nitrous... Like say richen it up A LOT at 3500 to start? Or should i just stick to a 100 shot wet.

I figure i wont spray till 4,000 RPMS anyway (shift at 8,000) So if i keep it reg tune under 3,500 i can get around the track fine without blowin black smoke everywhere. And just flash the nitrous tune if i think i might be using it.

Potential Tuner
    Oh yea and im runnin 60lb injectors so i dun have to worry about fueling, along with the MSD inline pump.

what kind of car so u have am i missing something? also post some good ol files and we can make suggestions.
    2006 SS Cobalt SC
    Stage 2 ZZP Cams
    Headers, 3.0" Full ZZP Exhaust
    60lb inj. Intake.
    2.8 Pulley
    72# Lb. Supertech Springs
    LNF Ext Valves and lashers
    Cobre H/E, option B.
    Torque Damper
    HPTuned.
    Bitchin'

Potential Tuner
    04 Sunfire l61... engine build as follows:

Wiseco 10:1 .020 over
    Eagle rods
    Balance bottom end
    Ferrea valves, springs, titanium retainers, seat locators
    Compcams stage 3 cams
    Cometic HG
    ARP Headbolts
    Copper srt-4 plugs
    UEGO W/B
    Hptuners pro
    Balance shaft delete
    Siemens 60lb injecters
    Lt1 AFPR
    MSD inline fuel pump

Theres more to it but its way to much to list off the top of my head

I dont think ima do nitrous though, prob just have a custom pulley made, throw a FMIC and run as much boost as i can get (around 20psi)

Potential Tuner
    I still dont have the motor back together yet, waiting on the block and bottom end from the machine shop (bore and balance)

I do have a startup tune setup though, set the injecter constant, changed all the redlines and the fake 2-bar tune, and set the idle at 1,300rpms. its high cus these cams wont even idle under 1,250

Senior Tuner
    Find out the size of the cams now! Have seen a couple of guys run into trouble because they couldn't find out, after the fact, what size cam was put in their car. You will need to know these #'s to properly tune your car. And someone that is trying to help along the way will need that info for sure. If you have a start up tune and have your injector rate set up, I guess there isn't much we can do until you fire it up. example= .559lift with 227 and 229 duration.
    Good luck bud, sound like it's gonna be a little animal!!

Having the WB and the HP Pro is gonna make this easy for you!

Potential Tuner
    -Street & Strip high RPM (Stage 3) Applications power from 3500-8000rpm .456 intake and .453 exhaust lift, 264 intake and 268 exhaust duration advertized (222 intake and 224 exhaust @ .050" duration) Requires computer modification very strong power over 5000 RPM

Thats all the info on the cams, i finished reassembling the head last night....

Are you lifted?? I know i am

I also am trading my 8.9 pistons for a MSD DIS-2 6211 box so that i can tune my spark past 6,000 rpms. And the 2-step will be fun too

use enough loctite homes? they have solid loctite fort hat kind of thing. unless thats assembly lube on your cam etc.
    2006 SS Cobalt SC
    Stage 2 ZZP Cams
    Headers, 3.0" Full ZZP Exhaust
    60lb inj. Intake.
    2.8 Pulley
    72# Lb. Supertech Springs
    LNF Ext Valves and lashers
    Cobre H/E, option B.
    Torque Damper
    HPTuned.
    Bitchin'

Senior Tuner
    Oh yeaaaaaaaaa. Gotta love lift! I'm sittin' at 559...

If your application has an IAT sensor , and you spray before the IAT sensor you can tune the IAT table to pull timing when the when it cools down (when the nitrous hits the sensor) .

Potential Tuner
    loctite?? Hehe common man give me more credit than that... If i can manage to install that valvetrain with those springs and the PITA ecotec head, then you should know that the red stuff is assy lube...

And yea i used about a 1/4 bottle on just the head, mainly because i dont know exactly when ill be getting the block back so i wanted to make sure i had enough in there