Thread: LHU Equinox Swap

Potential Tuner

Thumbs up LHU Equinox Swap

I am doing this project for my wife. The victim is a 2012 Equinox LTZ 2.4L. The donor vehicle is a 2013 Buick Regal Premium Turbo. I went with the 2013 Regal because it seemed like the easiest swap, having the 2.0 LHU and the 6T50 auto transmission (6T45 trans in the Equinox). I verified pin locations through ALLDATA for the Equinox E39 and the E39A for the Buick. I decided the easiest way for me is to dissect the harness from the LHU and add the sensor/boost solenoid wiring and pins to the absent locations on the Equinox connectors. Most of the LEA harness connected directly to the LHU as if it were meant to be. The o2 sensors have different connectors, so my first question is, couldn't I simply swap the o2 sensors from the LEA to the LHU? If I remember correctly, it was the LNF that had wideband o2s, but not the LHU.

Another thing I noticed is related to the fuel pressure sensor. On the LHU, the fuel pressure sensor is pinned at locations 2, 8, and 21 on the X1 connector. On the LEA, the fuel pressure sensor is connected to the fuel pump control module. I'm not sure why one feeds directly to the X1 while the other goes to the FPCM. I guess in the end, it's all being communicated one way or another?

Low oil level sensor. The Equinox does not have a low oil level sensor on the oil pan (how dumb is that?), but the Regal does. I pinned that out as well, but since the Equinox never had one, will that even work? Doesn't that signal get passed to the BCM to report on the dash?

Lastly, the ECM. Which to use? I have both and downloaded both files before taking everything apart. If I run the Equinox ECM, I could get a tune on it, but then what will I need to do to get the transmission to function properly since it came from the Regal? I do know the TCM is the same in terms of a replacement part for the 6T30-6T50. On the other hand, the Regal ECM is already programmed to run the engine and transmission, but I'm sure the Equinox BCM will have a problem with it. This is new territory for me, so I appreciate any advice or support on the project. I'll keep this updated and share the information I found if there's actually any interest in it.

Potential Tuner
    You are correct on the o2 sensors. It shouldn't matter, although there could be slight range differences.

I'd use your Equinox E39 ECM and put a Regal tune from another E39 ECM.

Good question on the oil level sensor. I'd like to know what you find out on that.

Transmission shouldn't be a problem.

Potential Tuner
    Very interested in updates. I have my eye on a local Terrain FWD with a bad motor and have been thinking about doing the exact same thing!

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Restoguy View Post
    Very interested in updates. I have my eye on a local Terrain FWD with a bad motor and have been thinking about doing the exact same thing!
    I honestly didn't expect anyone to be interested. I have been documenting the entire project. I just don't know where else to post it. The Equinox forum pretty much consists of people complaining about how crappy their Equinox is, so that doesn't seem like a good idea. As far as the swap goes, it's pretty straight-forward. There are only 2 issues you will need to figure out. One being the injector harness. It connects at different locations, so you will need to pull the one from the Equinox and connect it to the injectors, or extend the harness as I did. I didn't want to use the injector harness from my 2.4 because it is a good engine that I can quickly put in another Equinox and sell. Same goes for the Equinox transmission. Anyway, the only other issue you will have is the rear trans mount. It goes above the subframe on the Equinox and will hit the stock cat on the Regal. I've been in contact with an employee at ZZP who also did this swap. He used the ZZP downpipe for the Regal and then made some modifications to the mount. On the Regal, the mount goes under the subframe so it is out of the way. I'm gonna try using part of the Regal mount that attaches to the transmission and directs the mount downward, and then see if I cant use the other side of the mount from the Equinox that attaches to the subframe and flip it. I haven't been able to do much work the last couple of days because I did something to my shoulder, but I'm hoping to be back at it tonight or tomorrow.
    Last edited by Chevy Ecotec; 1 Day Ago at 07:52 PM.

Potential Tuner
    You might post it on the terrainforum. Theres quite a few over there who would be interested, I think. Whenever someone mentions a turbo for the I4, the community tells them to “trade for a V6”. Good advice for sure, but wheres the fun in that!? Especially if its fairly straight forward.

Potential Tuner
    Do you see any hope of swapping into an AWD? It seems the buick doesnt have the same gear ratio available (3.53 i think) so youd have to gear swap the 6T50. Do the 50 and the 45 use the same gear set?