Thread: 5.3 Turbo Spark and Closed Loop issue

5.3 Turbo Spark and Closed Loop issue

Hi Everyone,

Having a couple of issues with my tune on a 1954 Chevy 3100 with a Gen 3 5.3 with single GT45 98mm turbo. Currently set for around 8-10psi of boost.

First issue, any time I get into boost the spark tanks to -10 degrees, which is lowest value it will allow. I can't for the life of me figure out what table is causing it to go that low. I am logging KR and for most instances not seeing any knock. There are instances where I do see slight knock, which i'm assuming means i'm logging the right parameter. The base correction tables are fairly conservative as well. The IAT correction table would pull a couple of degrees, but not 20.

Second issue, I have closed loop and LTFT enabled, but it will not go in to closed loop. Is there a parameter i'm missing that's holding me out?

I appreciate anyone that has a look at my tune and log. Thanks,

Kevin
    1954 Chevy 3100 5-3LS Turbo 4L80.hpt
    part throttle drive 2.hpl

1954 Chevy 3100 5-3LS Turbo 4L80 - try this.hpt

No closed loop because both your O2 sensors are flatlined at the bias voltage. They're either not plugged in, or wired wrong, or dead/broken.

Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    1954 Chevy 3100 5-3LS Turbo 4L80 - try this.hpt

No closed loop because both your O2 sensors are flatlined at the bias voltage. They're either not plugged in, or wired wrong, or dead/broken.
    I suspected it was the sensors, so about an hour ago I replaced both of them. Took it for another drive, and actually got them reading and in Closed Loop for about 5 minutes, but then second half of my drive it was right back to open loop. Sorry, I forgot to save the log . Does that sound like a grounding issue then?

Kevin

It sounds like it could be anything that causes an open circuit on both sensor signal wires. Only you can narrow it down from there, when I look in GM service manuals there's no diagrams for a '54 3100 pickup (meaning, nobody else can know how it was wired in a swap like that other than the person who did it).

when I look in GM service manuals there's no diagrams for a '54 3100 pickup (meaning, nobody else can know how it was wired in a swap like that other than the person who did it).
    Granted. Just wondered if an intermittent signal pointed in one direction more than another. Thanks.

Kevin.

Since you just replaced the sensors I assume you've already worked out whether the harness is set up for case ground or isolated and made sure the new sensors match the harness?

Since you just replaced the sensors I assume you've already worked out whether the harness is set up for case ground or isolated and made sure the new sensors match the harness?
    I had no idea about the difference. On the scanner, my pcm is listed as a 2002 GMC Sierra. The sensors we matched up had them listed for a 2009 GMC Sierra. Could very well be the two different types not playing nice with one another here.

Yep, I read that thread a bit earlier. Definitely explains it well and i'm sure that's my issue. Now I just hope someone can have a look at my spark retard issue to see what's going on there.

Well... did you look at the changes I put in your file? Tried it yet? --> https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...l=1#post780297

Well... did you look at the changes I put in your file? Tried it yet? --> https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...l=1#post780297
    Sorry I didn't notice it. I won't get to try it until tomorrow afternoon, I appreciate your help. The MAP calculated max is definitely one I missed as well as the burst knock. Thanks again!

Kevin

Senior Tuner
    Try this..

To me looks all TM related.

Also, I'd expect for 140 F IAT's with that much boost.. That will put the timing back to 0 with the way your main spark/Iat tables are setup.

1954 Chevy 3100 5-3LS Turbo 4L80. Alvin.hpt
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Thanks to blindsquirrel and Alvin. You both spotted the problem with Torque Management. She pulls like a freight train now! Thanks again.

Kevin

All I did was turn off burst knock and the KS DTCs, and somebody'd been messin' where they shouldn't in the catalyst lightoff spark table...