Thread: MAF Vs VE

Tuner in Training

MAF Vs VE

I've got a 05 Silverado 5.3 swapped with a 6.0. It has a cam in that I know nothing about. I didn't build the engine and I don't know the guy that did. It's pretty mild because it started up fine and idled with little issues. Anyway I roughed in the VE Table first using NB. I've stayed out of PE until I get a WB on it later this week. Today I wanted to get the MAF started then when it was done put a WB on and finish both tables out completely. I made quite a few changes to the VE Table but the MAF was pretty much within 2% for all I could reach without getting into PE. I know being a mild cam the changes won't be as drastic, but just want to make sure I'm not missing something. I went back to check my settings and didn't see anything. I know I've got some timing/KS issues. I'm not ignoring it just haven't sorted it out yet.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Few spots in your MAF curve that could be a little closer (2-4%) but overall everything seems fine as far as fueling goes

Tuner in Training
    Alright thanks. I did catch one thing when I changed from 5.3 to 6.0 I thought for some reason it changed the cylinder volume too, but it did not. I don't know how much that will affect it but I assume it does have some. Appreciate you looking at it for me.

Senior Tuner
    Looks like a reasonable start. There is a long explanation but the cylinder volume doesn't make a tune change but it will change the numbers in your VE table. Still it's best practice to set it up proper.. .750L for a 6.0.

You will be able to fit quite a bit more timing in this.

Also look into getting rid of the PE delays that these come with. That makes a huge difference in power.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Tuner in Training
    I did plan on revisiting my VE Table with the cylinder volume corrected just to make sure it was still right. And planned on starting PE at 2500 but wanted to wait until I hook up the WB to set it there. And I have some issues to sort out before getting into the spark table. New knock sensors but the harness isn't any good. And I don't want to just turn them off. So as soon as I get everything ready I'll dive into it, just trying to keep it safe for now. Many thanks

Senior Tuner
    For such a simple setup you can use the stock narrow bands to ball park in the wide open fueling. 880mv-900mv will normally have you at 12.4-12.8:1
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Tuner in Training
    I consider doing that but people just always seem to rag on people who do. But since youre not opposed to it I just might. Saves a little time

Senior Tuner
    When i got started doing this.. the only widebands you could get were ones you had to build yourself with a parts kit from digikey and a circuit board out of Australia.. We did fine. You'll be fine.. lol!

This setup is fine without a wideband.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com

Tuner in Training
    Another quick question on this setup. When doing a swap from a 5.3 to 6.0 like this, should I go in and change every table that differs from a 6.0 to match it? Such as all the adaptive tables that are different from one engine to the other? I did not do this and the truck runs good, but comparing to a stock 6.0 file a lot of it is different.

Senior Tuner
    I don't. there are are multipliers and things that you can't see behind the scenes. So if you changed this stuff there is a decent chance you are also not getting some multiplier that you can't see.

When people bring me a car for a 418 swap... there are no odd tables I can pull out of a factory 418cid car and we do just fine.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com