Thread: Help with GEN 4 5.3 tune

Potential Tuner

Help with GEN 4 5.3 tune

Hoping someone may have a tune that may work better for me than what we currently have. We put a 2014 tahoe PPV 5.3 in a 2004 jeep wrangler. The computer is an E38 and we used the factory harness with our own relay and fuse box. We installed the chop monster cam and deleted VVT. Other than that, and building our own cold air intake the engine is stock. Have spent lots of time messing around with it, had no issues getting it to idle decent. But had bad idle hang, it would just stay at whatever RPM we revved it up to and never come back. Finally got it to be driveable, but the rev hang isnt perfect And it seems to not have much power. We don't have a wideband and all tuning shops in our area told us they wouldnt touch it because the VSS shows 158MPH at all times since the ECM is from an auto car and we are running a manual. Has anyone gone through something similar that may be able to share a tune that may run decent and not have idle hang? Trying to add an attachment with our current tune
    Attached Files Attached Files

Senior Tuner
    The VSS showing 158 isn't ideal. It's because the TCM isn't there.

The wiring for most ECM's are pretty much exactly the same. It wouldn't be a huge deal to reflash that computer as a 2010 camaro.. That way you can set it up as a manual. You would want to make sure the pedal matches a camaro operating system but other than that I don't see any issues doing that.

You should be able to get a pretty good result even with the TCM missing. I'm fairly certain I've done customer cars like that and not had any major issues. Fuel trim cells will be off, most idle learning only happens when you are practically completely stopped, no DFCO, etc. It's not ideal but it should work.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for the reply, Someone at HP told us we cant flash an entire manual tune in this ECU with our Mvp3 tool, does that sound right?

Senior Tuner
    HPT file won't contain the throttle control segments.

Senior Tuner
    That is correct.. You need GM reprogramming software to do that.. We have this. There are ebay sellers that can do this too.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Potential Tuner

ok, not sure exactly what you mean. what do you suggest i do?

Quote Originally Posted by gtstorey View Post
    HPT file won't contain the throttle control segments.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
    That is correct.. You need GM reprogramming software to do that.. We have this. There are ebay sellers that can do this too.
    Ok, what would it cost to have you tune this for us? We run an auto repair shop and have been starting to do some performance builds but EFI tuning is not something we have experience with

Senior Tuner
    Contact PCMofNC.com and have them do it for you with GM software.

Senior Tuner
    send a email to [email protected].. Explain the situation and what you'd like to do. They are smarter on the GM stock reprogramming (called SPS) than I am on what is compatible with what.

I will tell you one important part on your end is to choose a pedal, throttle body, and ECM OS from one OEM setup.

For example.. there is a chance a pedal for a truck willl work with a camaro OS.. But there is a chance it won't. But if you choose a pedal for a camaro OS and you run a camaro OS you will have no issues for sure.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com