Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: About to go FI

About to go FI

So I've been running my truck for a while now. Just ran into a great deal on a single turbo kit with an intercooler. My buddy put it on his 2013 Silverado 5.3l. he sold it to an old guy who wants the turbo off of it and told me if I replaced it all with stock stuff I can have the turbo kit and an extra turbo, SOLD, I have everything needed sitting on a shelf and a simple tune it'll be good to go. I've driven this truck, most I've seen is 9psi of boost, it's pretty quick but def not ideal as I've spanked his ass a few times with my NA truck. He paid ALOT of cash for goat rope garage guy to tune his truck but after like 8 mods to the tune he just gave up and drive it as it was. So I know I will need to get it tuned properly, maybe even take it to a Dyno tuner eventually.
    Here my thoughts tho, I have a LMG 5.3 with 243s, SS2 in my 09 which is 9.9:1, his is a LC9 bone stock but turdblower, and 11+ they dropped compression to 9.6:1. Im going to compare the 2 tunes and try and combine the two to make it work initially so I can start trying to tune it or get someone to tune it for me. I have a wideband but know ZERO about tuning FI. I'll post his tune when I get a chance to pull it and I'll post my current tune also.
    I'm more worried about boost and higher compression and what my limits are and if it's even worth putting this setup on my truck. I have a couple other engines (gen 3 5.3s and think I have a good lq4 at my buddies garage too) here I may just build a engine designed for FI instead?

Senior Tuner
    I add boost to engines with 11:1 all the time.. Like LS7.

You'll be fine.

Pick a good injector for this build.. one that comes with injector data. You'll want a 2 bar map sensor and watch fuel pressure under boost. Some trucks come with quite a bit of fuel supply.. some don't.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Senior Tuner
    more comp + boost + ethanol = fun times

Unfortunately this is a DD toy , couldn't afford to run ethanol especially since can't really get it where I live lol.

I think the kit has a 2 bar already, it's on a running driving truck rite now and I'll be swapping all stock stuff into The truck I'm taking the turbo kit off of. I'm sure he's using stock injectors but I'm reading. I need roughly 72 to 80 lb injectors and I've been looking for reputable ones that have data with them. Also. The biggest downfall is I'm already killing rear gears with the setup I have already. My biggest issue is a tiny pinion on the 5:13s and 37s. I'm currently looking for 3/4 ton axles to put under this truck or at least a rear. It doesn't help that it weighs 7,400 lb either.

I have the flex fuel injectors on mine so they're bigger than the regulars ones. Anyways. My bigger concern was that I didn't Gap the rings for boost. They're just standard gapped for stock compression. Is that going to give me any issues? From what I can tell that's going to limit the amount of boost because the heat's going to expand the rings and if I get too hot it's going to seize the ring and roll a ring and destroy a cylinder

Quote Originally Posted by ehall8702 View Post
    I have the flex fuel injectors on mine so they're bigger than the regulars ones. Anyways. My bigger concern was that I didn't Gap the rings for boost. They're just standard gapped for stock compression. Is that going to give me any issues? From what I can tell that's going to limit the amount of boost because the heat's going to expand the rings and if I get too hot it's going to seize the ring and roll a ring and destroy a cylinder
    Like alvin said above people add boost to higher compression stock N/A engines all the time. You will be limited on pump gas and especially if you dont up the injectors probably before you have a ring gap issue since you cant run that much boost anyways.
    2013 CTS-V Coupe M6 - 1 7/8" Headers, 3" x-pipe, stock mufflers, Airaid intake w/green filter, ID1050X injectors, DSXtuning flex fuel kit, DMS under hood tank, upgraded pump, 3/4" lines, griptec 2.4" pulley, solid isolator, 100mm idler, reinforced brick, MM mild catch can, AEM 30-0334 wbo2, 600whp/630wtq

I will be buying bigger injectors as soon as I figure out which ones I need. Question is will the stock pump support the system or do I need to upgrade that also? This kid has 2 and 1/2 in downpipe and crossover pipe on cast headers, I'd rather have stainless welded headers but I think they're out of my budget right now. Is the two and a half a restriction? Do I need to get bigger pipe to go across that? I run dual 3-in right now with long tube headers and I know the engine likes to breathe. I'm sure it would like to breathe more with a turbo.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
    Some trucks come with quite a bit of fuel supply.. some don't.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Are deka 80lb injectors a good choice for my setup? I figured it's more than I need but rather have overhead in case I need more.

Are deka 80lb injectors a good choice for my setup? I figured it's more than I need but rather have overhead in case I need more.

Senior Tuner
    They work. but an old style that is not as clean as a lot of other options.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com

What brand and size should I be looking for?

What brand and size should I be looking for?
    Injector dynamics. 850-1300 depending on if going e85 or not.
    2013 CTS-V Coupe M6 - 1 7/8" Headers, 3" x-pipe, stock mufflers, Airaid intake w/green filter, ID1050X injectors, DSXtuning flex fuel kit, DMS under hood tank, upgraded pump, 3/4" lines, griptec 2.4" pulley, solid isolator, 100mm idler, reinforced brick, MM mild catch can, AEM 30-0334 wbo2, 600whp/630wtq

No e85 or anything but 91 , it's all we can get here all the time really.

Took a look at the image dynamic injectors, I'm not spending over $1000 on injectors lol. Can get a set of dekas for $350, I know older and not as nice of a pattern but they would work right? I'm not chasing numbers or racing . It's a 7400lb lifted truck just wanted some more pep, it's not slow as is it is but getting a turbo setup for almost nothing I wouldn't mind throwing like 8 psi at it and making another 100hp. Budget toy basically, so injectors gotta be budget too.

Took a look at the image dynamic injectors, I'm not spending over $1000 on injectors lol. Can get a set of dekas for $350, I know older and not as nice of a pattern but they would work right? I'm not chasing numbers or racing . It's a 7400lb lifted truck just wanted some more pep, it's not slow as is it is but getting a turbo setup for almost nothing I wouldn't mind throwing like 8 psi at it and making another 100hp. Budget toy basically, so injectors gotta be budget too.
    Its literally pretty much the most important part to have a good tune, idle and performance. I bought a set of used 1050's for $700 and was well worth it. You want injectors with plug and play data. Fuel injector connection is a good alternative, not to be confused with Fuel injector clinic.

Looking at a legit set of Siemens deka 80s and a 525lph walbro for rite at $500, all I've read has been good stuff from real dekas, the knock offs not so much, these are supposed to come with all the data needed tho, I'll take a look fuel injector connection here shortly

Advanced Tuner
    I usually buy the FRPP 80's to guarantee they are legit. It is an eye opener with how well ID injectors work. I guess it all comes down to how much HP do you plan on making? The LY6 injectors are cheap and are 50ish lb/hr. Being it is higher compression I doubt you will increase the boost at a later date, so I would size the injectors accordingly.

Sorry for double posts , crap service here so sometimes it glitches and doubles up.
    Last edited by ehall8702; 1 Week Ago at 08:38 AM.