Thread: Any Comprenensive Explanations of Transmission Adapt/Preset/Reset/Learn?

Potential Tuner

Any Comprenensive Explanations of Transmission Adapt/Preset/Reset/Learn?

Y'all,

I've spent close to a couple dozen hours going through numerous forum archive discussions and official & unofficial videos looking for explanations of the "Controls and Special Functions" transmission "Trans Adapt Reset," "Trans Adapt Preset," "Trans Fast Adapt Reset," "Trans Fast Learn," and "Trans Clean Procedure" functions and when they should be used and in what order, or when they are not necessary, but haven't run across any comprehensive explanations of all of these.

The first three (Trans Adapt Reset, Trans Adapt Preset, and Trans Fast Adapt Reset) are not in the official VCM Scanner User Guide (13 September 2022), none are gone over in the "How to Use VCM Scanner (In-depth lesson) | HP Tuners" video (uploaded October '22, but recorded in August '22) (19:10 -- "We're going to go through that in the future"), and none are gone over in the "HP Tuners LIVE TRAINING - Intro to VCM Scanner" video ("streamed 3 years ago") (43:08 -- only goes over idle). The most comprehensive forum post on just one of them (Trans Fast Learn) is ten years old.

What PIDs are necessary to have up while the function is running? The official manual only lists two functions and their associated PIDs.

• Trans Adapt Reset; PID = ???
    • Trans Adapt Preset; PID = ???
    • Trans Fast Adapt Reset; PID = ???
    • Trans Fast Learn; PID = "Fast Learn Status"
    • Trans Clean Procedure; PID = "Cleaning Status"

My immediate real-world questions are:

1) I am only looking to do some mild reliability and driveability tuning of the 6L80E in my '13 Tahoe, such as disabling the torque converter clutch in gears 1-4 in normal driving, and changing the shift Torque Factor values from 1.0000 to 0.8000. Do I need to perform any of these functions?

2) Various folks suggest one or another of these functions is necessary after a fluid & filter change. Is this true?

Thanks in advance,
    Scrappy

EDIT: LOL, "Comprenensive"? That should have been "Comprehensive." :P
    Last edited by Scrappy; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:51 AM. Reason: misspelling

Potential Tuner
    I can tell you from personal experience that none of the changes you're planning on making or doing a fluid/filter change will require use of any of the special functions. I would also be interested in a comprehensive explanation of the special features same as you though!

edit: Regarding shift torque changes - I have not done those so I'm not sure if any of the adapt/special features should be used after changing this.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for your input, TGMachine.